Ardbeg Auriverdes

Like witnessing Shaoling Soccer!

Rantavahti

5th Aug 2014

Tasting Notes by Rantavahti

When I first heard about Ardbeg Auriverdes being associated with football, I thought Green Street Hooligans or Football Factory. But after I tasted Auriverdes, it was more like Shaolin Soccer. And I mean it in a good way. This one's more into the technique than into straight forward kick ass style.

Slightly different from other Ardbegs, still keeping on with the quality standards of the famous Islay distillery. Great whisky.

Nose: Vanilla and citrus fruits with peat and oak. Smoke is sophisticatedly present.

Taste: Medicinal and fruity. Peachy with floral touch, very juicy sweet and smooth.

Finish: Fruits fade with peat and sour tones rising.

Balance: Great balance, good dram, usual Ardbeg quality in unusual-Ardbeg palate.

Tags

Ardbeg

Bottling:

Ardbeg Auriverdes

49.9%

Sunlight

Comments

Taco

Taco wrote:

Agree with the score. Very good version of Ardbeg that has a different twist. I even went back and bought two more. However, you don't mention fresh espresso grounds, which I definitely get in the nose and especially the palate.

05 August 2014 18:15
Rantavahti

Rantavahti wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't get any of that mocha/coffee feel, that the specially toasted cask lids were supposed to give. It's nice to hear that some people have experienced it, like you @Taco. Still, a fine dram, even though I managed to miss 'em...

05 August 2014 18:21
Taco

Taco wrote:

I love my scotch, cigars and coffee, so this version really works for me. It might be a good idea for Ardbeg to keep working with the toasting idea and come out with more versions as it seems to work for many Ardbeg fans.

05 August 2014 18:40