Ardmore Portwood Finish

Halfway Decent

MaltActivist

3rd Feb 2016

Tasting Notes by MaltActivist

Ardmore Portwood Finish I've not had a lot of Ardmore in my lifetime, I'll be perfectly honest. I've tried the entry level Ardmore Traditional Cask which was a good gift to buy given it's extremely affordable price tag and decent quality.

The other one I've had is the Ardmore 25 which is a lovely cask strength whisky. Lots of punch and lots of flavor. Quite impressive.

But that's the extent of my Ardmore experience.

Then a few days ago I got sent a 50ml sample from their PR/Marketing agency to try and then write about. I know there are some bloggers who refuse samples completely in order to keep their reviews unbiased. Which is fine. I, on the other hand, don't mind receiving samples since my reviews are going to be unbiased any way.

Like this one.

This Ardmore joins three other travel retail expressions released recently, Legacy, Tradition and Triple Wood, and retails at around 50GBP. A bit high if you ask me for a NAS travel retail with so so flavors.

Matured for 12 years in bourbon and then finished off in European half Port Pipes my sample is from a 50ml bottle and serve at 46%

Nose: Smoke. Milk chocolate. Malt. Barley. Leather. Figs. Treacle. Cinnamon. Red apples.. Cigar box. Cowhide. Digestives. Linseed oil. It's decent. Something is a touch off but not massively. 21/25

Palate: That smoke again. Touch of peat. Leather. Some bitter herbs. Gets super bitter mid-palate and you really have to chew on it to release the other flavors. Turns to a bitter chocolate. Toffee. Vanilla. Dried tea. Some type of varnish. Not what I was expecting really. A mish mash of flavors which, while not disastrous, are not that stellar either. 20/25

Finish: Medium with a drying smoke. 21/25

Overall Comments: What do I think? I think it's OK. What do you expect from an entry level NAS Travel Retail, right? It's probably not the easiest to drink but someone who's not too picky won't mind this terribly.

Ardmore

Bottling:

Portwood Finish

46%

Pale Gold

Comments

OlJas

OlJas wrote:

If you look up the definition of "damning with faint praise," you should find a link to this review.

03 February 2016 17:00
MaltActivist

MaltActivist wrote:

@OlJas hahaha I'll take that as a compliment. That was precisely what I was going for!

03 February 2016 18:06