Ben Nevis 10 Year old

Unexpectedly Good

21st Dec 2015

Tasting Notes by MaltActivist

BenNevis 10 To be perfectly honest I don't really know any thing about Ben Nevis. I didn't even know it was the highest mountain in all of the British Isles. I didn't know the distillery was named after it. I didn't even know it sat at it's foothills.

I only bought this 10 year old because I thought the label looked cool. In my defense that was over four years ago and that's more time than it takes Amrut to lose half it's spirit so that should give you some perspective.

I visited their website and the first thing to greet you is a wildly hilarious video about a Scottish giant named Hector McDram (you can't make this stuff up) who takes you on a journey through the Western Highlands. If you have ten minutes and a sense of humour I highly encourage watching it.

Other than the 10 year old they also have a smattering of blends under the name Dew of Ben Nevis.

Basically this has been sitting under my radar for a long time and I finally got around to giving it a whirl. There's not a lot of literature about this expression but it seems like it's been finished off in European Sherry. My sample is from a brand new bottle and served at 40%

Nose: Toffee. Lots of bourbon. Milk sweets. Walnuts. Vanilla. Fudge. Chocolate. Dates. Green tobacco leaf. Toasted oak. Orange marmalade. Touch of peat. Coffee. Perfectly decent nose. Quite good, in fact. I like being pleasantly surprised because this could have gone either way. 22/25

Palate: Medium bodied. The delivery is a little weak - 40% ? Chocolate. Bourbon. That touch of oak again. Cinnamon. Black pepper. Dates. Nuts. Touch of bitter chocolate. Mild peat. Again, not bad. Decent. 21/25

Finish: Long. Dry. That oak again. Cinnamon. 21/25

Overall Comments: So what do I think? Yeah, why not? I like it. I think if I go back to it I might like it even more. It has something just a touch unusual to give it an edge.

Rating: 85

Ben Nevis

Pale Gold

No comments have been added yet. Leave one below...