Benrinnes 15 Years Darkness PX

Sticky Sticky Sticky

8th Mar 2015

Tasting Notes by MaltActivist

Master of Malt, apart from being a fine whisky shop, are quite accomplished independent bottlers too. I've tried a number of their offerings and they seldom disappoint.

With Darkness! they've decided to do something quite bold. Taking existing spirit from different distilleries they subject it to 3 months in 50 liter casks previously filled with Oloroso or PX sherry. The smaller surface area created a far greater interaction between liquid and wood and out came sherry monsters.

This Benrinnes was 15 years old before being dropped in a PX cask and left to darken for 3 months. My sample is from a brand new bottle and served at a cask strength of 53.3%

Nose: Jam. Jam. Sticky jam. Caramel marchiatio. Brownies. Tamarind. Brown sugar. Black pepper. Becomes beautifully crisp over time. Even takes on some rose petals. It's like literally sticking your nose into gooey, sticky jam. Definite sherry bomb. 23/25

Palate: Burst of cinnamon. Oak. Dates. Fudge. Chocolate. Hint of coconut oil. Black pepper. Gets savory mid-palate. Coffee beans. Burnt toast. Betel nut. This is very chewy and quite thick. Lovely. 23/25

Finish: Long. Oak. Cinnamon. Warm coffee. 23/25

Balance: 23/25

Strength: Yes, please. More cask strength the better. 25/25

Variety: Lots of flavors. Right across the spectrum. 23/25

Quality: Certainly no expense spared here. 23/25

Harmony: On point and consistently solid. 23/25

This is a lovely little experiment and given that every single bottle on MoM's site is sold out can only mean they've done a fine job with this.

Based on my scores I give this whisky 93 points

15 Years Darkness PX

Old Sauternes

Victor wrote:

@MaltActivist, sometimes the verbal description which someone else gives in a review is so interesting that I wish that I could immediately taste from that particular bottle of whisky just to see what, e.g. "Jam. Jam. Sticky Jam. Caramel marchiatio. Brownies. Tamarind. Brown Sugar...." smells (or tastes) like, in a whisky, to that particular reviewer, in this case you. I have my associations with those smells and tastes, while others have theirs. It is interesting to compare the two up closely, when applied to a whisky by one or the other of us. I think that it requires face to face tasting to really make that process work.

Intriguing review, @MaltActivist. (and I don't often use the word intriguing to describe reviews.)

08 March 2015 21:28

MaltActivist wrote:

@Victor how are you my friend? Well, the only thing we can do is taste a sample together. Maybe pick a whisky neither of us have had before and compare notes. We could have a face to face via Skype or agree to post simultaneously at an agreed time.

Maybe even involve a couple more connosr members to the party!

09 March 2015 03:06

Victor wrote:

@MaltActivist, well, it may be awhile in coming, but I think it should be the same bottle, same time, same place. One day. Some things cannot be rushed.

09 March 2015 03:21