Bruichladdich Peat

The name says it all

Megawatt

28th Aug 2011

Tasting Notes by Megawatt

This is certainly one peaty whisky. Put your nose in the glass and you are met with boggy, mossy peat, as well as leafy/papery smoke and a light mothball sweetness. Yet for all that peat it comes across soft on the nose.

It is much spicier in the mouth, though water or ice softens it. Very peaty as it spreads across the tongue. Lacks the ashen fireplace taste of some Islay malts (Caol Ila, Laphroaig), though there is considerable smoke. Not unlike a less intense Kilchoman, actually. There is a sweet quality to the taste but I find it hard to separate from the peatiness.

It finishes, needless to say, with peat flavour, dominant but not quite overpowering. Pleasant.

Balance-wise, I prefer an Islay malt with a thicker sweetness in the centre, or more citric zest. I like to feel that the malty sweetness and peaty dryness are independent of one another, though well-integrated. Therefore this one comes across as lacking in balance, though it certainly has some complexity.

Overall this whisky satisfied my craving for a good but not overpowering peated malt. Comparing from memory, it is probably a hair better than Ardmore Traditional Cask.

Tags

Bruichladdich

Bottling:

Region:

Islay

46%

Sunlight

Comments

Victor

Victor wrote:

Update: A second bottle of the Fighting Cock purchased in early 2010 fell quite a bit flat compared to this bottle which was purchased a year earlier. The more recent bottle would only rate for me about 81. I do hope that Heaven Hill gets back soon to the fiery goodness that this reviewed bottle had.

27 December 2011 14:52

Victor wrote:

HOW this comment posted here is astonishing...it has to be because the two reviews have the same title. (I haven't looked at this Br. Peat review in at least 3 months)Jean-Luc, please take a look at this.

27 December 2011 15:39
maltster

maltster wrote:

@victor - I had a sip of this yesterday and as it was over 110°F I allowed myself a decent cube of Ice. A nice robust bourbon with a little bit of heat but full of flavors and spices from the rye - very good value and pretty good one especially with a bit water (or ice).

05 July 2012 09:25

Victor wrote:

@maltster, sounds like your sample of Fighting Cock was more like my first, reviewed, bottle of it. That was a great fiery bottle. I very much hope that it will come back to that wonderful rye intensity again.

02 October 2012 02:18