Bruichladdich Waves

Peat's Appearance Properly Subtle

25th Oct 2009

Tasting Notes by BDeVries

Honeysuckle and heather introduce this dram fairly, but the nose suffers the high proof somewhat; smell deeply enough and you’ll find a pleasant whiff of salt and seaweed, but also the unfortunate sting of alcohol.

The sweeter scents deliver on their promises (plus notes of raspberry) and ease you into the taste of this smooth, full dram so fluidly, you’ll scarcely notice you’ve alternated orifices from nostril to mouth.

Though brine and sea air introduce themselves early, the peat exercises much reserve: mysteriously, at least for a Scotch of this price range, it is able to dodge the palate until the finish. It’s not the kind of peat you’ll feel in your nose tomorrow morning; it’s that quieter guest at dinner, donning outerwear in the coatroom – you ask them to stay for another hour and actually mean it. Then, in parting, they deliver that one deft note of conversation that made their presence so worthwhile.

Tags

Bruichladdich

Region:

Islay

46%

Fino Sherry

Comments

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc wrote:

Nice review. I Tried Bruichladdich for the first time recently, an SMWS bottling, which I really enjoyed. This sounds interesting though.

I note with this - and your previous reviews - that you don't dish out stars too casually, so 5.5 stars is probably many peoples peoples 8?

25 October 2009 19:51
jdcook

jdcook wrote:

@BDeVries - Sounds like a nice malt, but the 5.5 stars is a bit off-putting. What would you rate as an 8?

25 October 2009 22:58

BDeVries wrote:

Sorry my scale seems off. I did like this malt quite a bit, but all in all I give a lot of extra points to complexity. If it takes a full two minutes for all the tastes to come through, if I'm still puzzling over a certain note for days, I'll dish out the stars.

I'd give Lagavulin 16 Yr 8 stars (at least).

I'd probaby rate Bruichladdich 25 Yr an 8 or above ... though I can't find my notes on that right now. And to be honest, I don't have the money to buy another bottle tonight.

26 October 2009 01:34

BDeVries wrote:

Sorry scratch Bruichladdich 25 - meant 15 (second edition). Infinity I also liked, if we want to get into more number confusion.

26 October 2009 01:48
jdcook

jdcook wrote:

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply your scale is in any way wrong or off - your scale is your scale, and everyone will rate things differently. I was just wondering how to relate your thoughts and your ratings to how I rate things in my head to see whether or not to add Bruichladdich Waves to my wishlist is all.

26 October 2009 03:47
markjedi1

markjedi1 wrote:

Ah, this kind of review is not only good to holster up one's wishlist, but this is pure poetry. Well done, BDeVries. I'll be checking your other reviews soon :-) And I totally agree with you and jdcook on the rating. We all have our own scale. That's what this site is for!

26 October 2009 16:00
GregLogan

GregLogan wrote:

Interestingly enough, I have been less than enthused with the Laggy16 despite having purchased two bottles (at a very good price with no shipping....!) based on an initial experience with two young ladies....

I am curious where you would put Ardbeg Correvreckan (sp?) relative to the Laggy?

20 June 2012 07:38