Caol ila Cask Strength

Smoky Unripe Grapes!

jwise

28th Jan 2011

Tasting Notes by jwise

I am sampling a very small portion of this whisky, after having shared a tipple with a friend of mine the other day. I quite enjoyed my first sip, but I had already enjoyed a couple Compass Box expressions, so I didn't feel it fair to review it under those circumstances. However, here I am, after a long day, finally sitting down to enjoy a dram!

This is a very light colored whisky, bottled at 61.6% ABV.

Nose: Quite a bit of smoke up front. Some sea air comes in behind the smoke, and there are some tangy (unripe) grapes mixed in. A little seaweed in the back.

Palate: Wow! A smoke and tangy grape explosion in the mouth! VERY hot! My mouth is really heating up holding in this whisky. It really is very good, with a fantastic mouth feel. To be real clear, unless you are a whisky fanatic, I would steer WELL clear of this one.

Finish: More smoke on the finish. Which, frankly is a bit shorter than I would have expected. With such intensity on the palate, I am surprised at how tame the finish is.

I don't think this is the most balanced whisky I've ever tasted. It is incredibly hot in the mouth, and there is a ton of smoke in there. But the other flavors just get lost in that smoke cloud.

All in all, this is a great whisky. There are a few drawbacks, like the very short finish. But overall, I really like this one. Very unusual, with the intense smoke and tangy character. I would definitely look for a bottle of this whisky.

Tags

Caol Ila

Region:

Islay

61.6%

Pale Straw

Comments

No comments have been added yet. Leave one below...