Deanston 12 Year old Unchillfiltered

Hits my sweet spot

18th Feb 2015

Tasting Notes by DutchGaelisch

I hessitated te write this review, the first bottle I bought for € 30,- was absolutely wonderfull, it didn't last a week. Was it a lucky shot from Deanston? Maybe? Afterall we know all about batch differences. So I bought another bottle, again wondefull stuff. Then I looked at the (not so good) reviews on Connosr, are we talking about the same bottle? It can't be? I'm I nuts? Ore is this bottle just hitting my sweet spot? I prefer to go for the last option!

What is it like? Deanston, 12 year old, 46.3%, non chill-filtering, no colouring. So far all good stuff!

The flavors are bright with notes of citrus, barly, lemongrass, honey, vanilla. The finish is easy-going and lingering due to the higher ABV. It reminds me vagely of The Glenlivet Nadurra, both bottles are 100% Bourbon Barrels and a high ABV. For € 30,- a bottle an absolute winner and a wonderfull everyday dram. Deanston keep up the good work!

Deanston

Region:

Highland

46.3%

Pale Straw

Comments

Jules

Jules wrote:

Yep I see where you are coming from, it's one of those that often gets a bad rap but I also find this one very good for the price - there aren't many similar style young Bourbon-matured Scotches that are sold at such a decent ABV% and unchillfiltered.

19 February 2015 12:08

DutchGaelisch wrote:

@Jules, Thanks for the comment. I really like the 100% Bourbon-matured style. Do you have some suggestions for other bottles in the same style? Springbank 12 yo Green is on my shortlist to try.

19 February 2015 15:16
FMichael

FMichael wrote:

DutchGaelisch - Off the top of my head; Balvenie 12 yr Single Barrel, Balvenie 15 yr Single Barrel (recently discontinued), Glenlivet Nadurra, and Ancnoc 12 yr.

19 February 2015 21:59
Jules

Jules wrote:

@ DutchG, well the problem is that most original bottlings tend not to go higher than 43% on their younger expressions, and most are also chillfiltred. I'd say your best bet for interesting Bourbon-only expressions is to find a good seller that stocks independant bottlings. If you are in NL (your name suggests you might be:-) then look for bottles from 'The Whisky Agency', 'The Nectar' and 'The Ultimate' (all EU bottlers and all sold in NL) - these will usually state what kind of cask was used to mature and are a good way of finding interesting Bourbon matured scotches that would otherwise not be released by the distilleries.

20 February 2015 08:07

DutchGaelisch wrote:

@FMichael @Jules,

Thanks for the input. Balvenie 15 yr Single Barrel had that one a long time ago, (5 years) and liked it. Didn't know then it was 100% Bourbon Barrel. I'll certainly look into the bottles you both mentioned. And yes I'm in The Netherlands.

20 February 2015 10:25