Edradour 13 Year Old 2001 Port Cask for Whisky Barrel Lanaken

9th Mar 2015

Tasting Notes by markjedi1

Look, if you are a whisky shop and you dare come out with an Edradour bottling, then you are either in possession of bad taste or good humor. At least, that is what I would have said a couple years ago, when Edradour was in my mind still Edrasour. But in the last few years, I have learned differently. In the case of Whisky Barrel Lanaken, knowing the shop owner Dave, I am quite certain he knows better too. He selected a 13 Year Old Edradour that was finished on a port cask. It is bottled at cask strength.

Wonderfully sweet nose on chocolate, red fruit, honey and blood oranges. Nuts as well. Some marzipan, I would say. But the dirty edge that I usually associate with Edradour, is nowhere to be found. I find this nose to be fresh, clean, sweet and simply delicious. Reminds me a bit of a fruit pie. Kriek and strawberry. Great. Adding water makes it somewhat more green, if you know what I mean. All kinds of garden herbs emerge then, with cumin in the lead.

The arrival is pretty powerful with loads of spices preceding the red fruit. All kinds of peppers followed by a big sweetness. The port cask has had quite a big influence here. A very positive influence I might add. Good. Adding water does not diminish the sweetness, but does make it more accessible.

The finish is long, spicy and sweet.

This is simply very good and might serve as a digestif or even with a cheese platter. Quite a swimmer as well. Just under 70 EUR. If you want to try a really good Edradour, give this one a go.

13 Year Old 2001 Port Cask for Whisky Barrel Lanaken

Old Gold

No comments have been added yet. Leave one below...