Glen Garioch 1989 'Brandy Casket' Wemyss

Cheerful

markjedi1

6th May 2015

Tasting Notes by markjedi1

When you know that the independent bottler Wemyss has the tradition of naming the bottles after a tasting panel has checked the contents, I expect to discover some cognac in this aged Glen Garioch. Hmm. Let us give it a try, eh?

Yep, the name is aptly chosen. When I smell this, I am indeed reminded of cognac. Loads of apples, but also some peach and gooseberries. Add some green herbs, some vanilla, some green tea, a leaf of tobacco and some nutmeg and the picture is complete. Or almost. I could swear I get a hint of peat in the background. Might be right as Glen Garioch only stopped using peated barley in 1994. Surprisingly complex nose, but fresh and cheerful, if you know what I mean.

It has a clean body, is very clean and… yes, I can clearly taste the peat now. Very fruit from the get go as well. Nuts, peach, apples, but with a salty edge. Nicely peppery. I do get some wood, but it is far from oaky. Again some tobacco and something minty (although very discreet, I may have imagined it).

The finish is somewhat long, but slowly turns somewhat bitter and dry. At the death, it is a battle between sweet and salt.

This Glen Garioch has a lot to offer: both fruit and peat. Hence it holds the middle between modern and old Glen Garioch. I think it is great.

Glen Garioch

Bottling:

1989 'Brandy Casket' Wemyss

46%

Pale Straw

Comments

No comments have been added yet. Leave one below...