Glenfarclas 15 Year old

Nozinan Mini and Sample Series - 10

11th Oct 2015

Tasting Notes by Nozinan

Another sample courtesy of @paddockjudge. I’ve tried the Glenfarclas 105 10 year and found it a little rough, though it did improve with some water. Without going back and looking at that review, how will a lower ABV and 5 more years in oak affect this distillate?

Nose:

Neat - right off the bat I get the same vegetal smell as I get from the Bladnoch 12. Could this be the effect of sulfur? I’ll give it 10 min in the glass uncovered, then cover it for 5 and see what happens.

15 min later, the vegetal note has subsided but is still there. Getting some fruit behind it now. 19/25

@paddockjudge recommends a drop of water…… 10 min later:

The vegetal note has almost disappeared. Some darker notes coming through, consistent with sherry. (22/25) Taste:

Neat - Spirity, Some chocolate, a bit of that vegetal flavour from the nose. Not getting much sherry as I would have expected. 20/25

with water, more fruit, less vegetal. (21/25)

Finish - dry, bitter, not unpleasant 20/25. With water a little sweeter (21/25)

Balance

This one does better with a little water. I think it becomes a little more complex and a little more balanced.22/25

I scored it as it was with the water, because that is how I would take it. I’ll experiment with the remaining sample in the future and we’ll see if things change over time.

Glenfarclas

Region:

Speyside

46%

Sunlight

Comments

Nozinan

Nozinan wrote:

And, after a long drought, this once again available at the LCBO. 10 000 bottles worth. I guess they figured it would be snapped up like last time. I wonder if it the shelves will be emptied or if everyone has all they want...

26 February 2016 23:28

Robert99 wrote:

@Nozinan You are perfectly clear about what you think of this rye but, at a reasonable price, I will buy it out of curiosity. The point that surprises me is not that some amateurs don't like, it's that it doesn't seem to have a big and well defined personnality. My hope is that if it is not good enough to be a sipper, it would have some good caracteristics to become part of some vatting. I will let you know.

27 February 2016 17:14
Victor

Victor wrote:

@Robert99, CRNHR is a great cocktail rye, as my wife and sister can attest. That is why my bottle was half gone in a week, when I reviewed it.

@Nozinan found the nose only good to very good. I think that it is a very fine nose...but the nose is the end of where I think that CRNHR is admirable.

Robert, hell, everything is expensive up there in Canada! If you can get CRNHR cheaply you will probably be content enough with it.

27 February 2016 17:53

Robert99 wrote:

@Victor I would phrase your comment differently: everithing is cheap downthere in the USA! When I read about the prices in Australia, Denmark, Sweedish or even in GB (for Boubons or even for some of their Scotches like Laphroaig Cairdeas), I came to the conclusion you are in the Valhala of whisky drinker. Thanks for the advise, my adviser at SAQ has one waiting for me.

27 February 2016 19:07

Robert99 wrote:

@Nozinan I don't think giving air to this rye will improve it for you as I found that I usually get the pickle flavor more and more with air. But I like it way more than you although not as much as a famous expert that every one knows. I found it taste like an oxydized American Rye with some Canadian caramel. That is a mixed that is not for everybody!

07 April 2016 04:56

Nozinan wrote:

Well, I better get used to it seeing as someone gave me a bottle of this as a gift...

07 April 2016 05:13

Nozinan wrote:

For some reason when I open the comments on this review I get a whole bunch of comments that were clearly meant for my review of CRNHR, and the identical ones appear there. This comment however is about Glenfarclas 15 YO.

I see some few bottles still available for $115 at the LCBO. I'm relaxing with the second half of the sample from @paddockjudge that I had earlier reviewed. The vegetal note persists even though I put some water in right away. On the palate I get sherry notes but compared to something like an A'Bunadh this has neither the depth or the breadth. It's not unpleasant but it does not provide anything unique that I cannot get from another sherried dram.

If offered in someone's home I would probably accept. It's not bad, has some flavour, 46% is OK. But I wouldn't likely order it in a bar and I won't spend $115 on it when I can get a 17 YO CS Glendronach single cask for $5 more ( and I did get it, when it was about $80-90 and I wish I got 10).

But tonight I want to toast @paddockjudge's safe arrival at home after the chaos that was yesterday's SOT, and so I chose something that was a gift from him...

09 May 2016 04:01