Glenmorangie 25 Year Old Quarter Century

Pricey but nicey...

2nd Sep 2013

Tasting Notes by hunggar

Glenmorangie has always been one of my preferred distilleries, and that’s for one reason; consistency.

I know, part of the fun of buying/tasting whisky is batch variations. It’s fun to watch the Aberlours and Ardbegs of the world evolve and change with every batch. And indeed, the whisky world would be a much less interesting place without those batch variations. But the whisky world also needs the opposite. For me, Glenmorange is exactly that. It’s my ‘old faithful.’ Are there batch variations? Undoubtedly. But they’re rarely, if ever, detectable to me. It’s a distillery that is always dependable and usually affordable.

You’ll note that I said ‘usually’ affordable. There are exceptions. The 25 year old release is anything but cheap. But regardless, this dram doesn’t seem to have changed in the least since I last tried it several months ago. Here’s my take on it:

Nose: I’m first hit with Glenmo’s signature vanilla/marmalade sweetness; something I’ve noticed in several of their releases. Light oak. Toffee. Wisps of white wine. Floral notes. Lovely ripe fruit. Fresh oranges, apricot, plums, and lemon cough drops. Very fresh and fruity for such an old whisky.

Palate: Smooth, with oak and white pepper. More fruit. There’s an earthiness to this dram. More marmalade. There’s also some notes in here that remind me of soda. More specifically, ginger ale and Irn-Bru.

Finish: Coffee, ginger, oak, pepper, and milk chocolate carry us through the medium-long finish.

This is great stuff. Very sweet, inviting, and alive. It has a stronger presence and more complexity than the younger Glenmo’s, yet it still remains a vibrant and fruity dram at heart. Very vibrant and fresh, in fact. It’s nice to see such an old whisky still keep its youthful liveliness. A lovely little dram. Not much to complain about here, other than the usual “this should have a higher abv.” rant.

However, as other reviewers have mentioned; while this is good, it’s overpriced. I can think of several other equally delicious bottles I could buy for the same price as one bottle of this. But hey… if you can afford it, why not?

WhiskyBee wrote:

Thanks for another fine and eloquent review that allows me to experience vicariously a whisky I can't afford!

02 September 2013 22:36

talexander wrote:

I must admit, I'm very hit-and-miss when it comes to Glenmorangie. But I had this dram in a bar in Scotland and it was pretty incredible. You hit it on the nose. Price is high but it may well have been the best Glenmorangie I've had. Only complaint: the bottle is ugly.

03 September 2013 00:36

hunggar wrote:

@WhiskyBee: I appreciate the kind words. I don't actually own a bottle of this myself. And at that price, I probably never will! That why bars, whisky festivals, and rich friends are always a good thing! ;)

@talexander: My buddy was actually commenting how much he loved the look of this bottle, but I tend to agree with you. The word 'stubby' comes to mind...

03 September 2013 08:24