Glenmorangie Lasanta

Quick, simple sherry fix...

hunggar

13th Feb 2015

Tasting Notes by hunggar

So this is the third incarnation of the Lasanta. Unlike the first two releases, which were finished purely in Oloroso casks, this one boasts some PX influence as well. A lot of people seem to prefer PX these days. In my experience a good sherry cask is a good sherry cask. Still, nice to see a bit of variety in the Lasanta releases. Unfortunately it’s a trade off, as Glenmorangie decided to lower the abv down to 43% from the usual 46%.

Nose: Sultanas, dark chocolate, sherry, allspice, apple pie, and apple skin. A bit of Glenmo’s delicate highland profile peeks out behind the sherry.

Palate: Medium mouthfeel. Cream, raisins, sherry, cinnamon, milk chocolate, and nuts.

Finish: Short, with very little in the way of spices. Indistinct sherry notes, raisins, cinnamon, cream, chocolate, and faint oak. Simple and straight-forward sherry.

Thoughts: Glenmorangie is known for its finishes, and rightly so. Aside from pioneering the method, their premium Private Edition releases are fantastic. Of course we’re not in premium territory here. While I appreciate the affordability of the core range, the wine finished releases aren’t my favorites. Within the budget offerings, I think the 10 year old Original best displays the delicate sophistication of Glenmo’s base spirit.

That being said, this has a pleasant and simple sherried profile that is drinkable and accessible. I do think this new Lasanta is slightly more complex than its previous incarnations, but the lowered abv hurts it. I’m sure this will satisfy anyone in need of a quick sherry fix, but it’s not one you’ll need to spend a lot of time exploring. Decent, basic, unpretentious stuff.

Tags

Glenmorangie

Region:

Highland

43%

Pale Straw

Comments

vrudy6

vrudy6 wrote:

I just bought the 2015 bottling, when I read the box and saw chill filtered at 43%, I went to the bottle and read the label to verify if it was a typo. It wasn't. I quickly came here to Connosr and read your review. Big disappointment! One of the main reasons why I buy this is for the non chill, 46%. I can taste the difference, big time. That's just one of the many big corporate (Moet, Hennessy, Louis Vitton) schemes trying to squeeze mega profits from their products , compromising their quality for short-term returns. Great review as always!

28 February 2016 04:15