Glenrothes 1985

A Sweet Introduction to Speyside

edit-sober

1st Mar 2011

Tasting Notes by edit-sober

I didn't like Speyside single malts. I deemed them soft, sweet and meek. At least that's what I thought before the Glenrothes 1985 completely changed me. I guess I always knew the day would come. That day found me sitting in Bourbon and Branch, enjoying Glenrothes 1985 as the front end of a Scotch Flight. I thought it was just going to be a pleasant warmup for the headliner, the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist, but the Glenrothes had me at raisins and citrus. Glenrothes 1985 is the gilded invitation I needed to the Speyside single malt party.

Eye: Light Amber

Nose: Lots of fruit and floral with a spiced, woodsmoke undertone

Mouth: Raisins and orange, caramel, a little mulled spice and rose hips and pleasant, smooth layer of woodsmoke.

Finish: Mild, lingering finish that invites another sip

Balance: Very well balanced between the fruit, sweet, spice and smoke (no peaty smoke - all cask).

From that day on I've turned a new, almost lascivious eye toward single malts that begin with Glen-, after an evening with the Glenrothes 1985, and the silkier single malts have already begun finding their way into my liquor cabinet.

Tags

Glenrothes

Bottling:

Region:

Speyside

43%

Pale Gold

Comments

RobertH

RobertH wrote:

Certainly one of my favorites. Quite similar to the 91 but has a bet more umph, and a longer finish. Well worth having in the cabinet.

01 March 2011 17:08
Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc wrote:

Nice review @edit-sober I really like the 1985 too - my favourite Glenrothes.

Welcome to the site @RobertH, with you on the comparison to the 1991.

01 March 2011 17:20
edit-sober

edit-sober wrote:

@RobertH and @Jean-Luc: glad you brought up the '91. I haven't tried it yet, but your comparison has moved it up on my wish list. Thanks.

01 March 2011 17:31
jwise

jwise wrote:

I have a bottle of the '85 in my cabinet, but I have not yet opened it. I do have a bottle of the '91 open, and enjoy it very much.

04 March 2011 05:11