Highland Park SMWS 4.195

Acrobat In An Orchestra

Reviewed by
Connosr member:

MaltActivist

Date:

18th Sep 2015

Reviewer rating:

88

About this score:

  • Nose: 22
  • Taste: 22
  • Finish: 22
  • Balance: 22

Tasting Notes by MaltActivist

Highland Park SMWS 4195

Highland Park does some questionable stuff and some pretty awesome stuff at the same time. The older HPs (18, 21, 25, 30) are all pretty awesome in my opinion. All this other business with vikings and the NAS stuff is by and large quite questionable in my opinion. With the exception of Thor, mind you. That's a peach.

So I don't really know what to expect when opening a bottle from this Orkney distillery. Which is irritating because, based on the age statement expressions, I genuinely want to like everything they do.

And so I was in two minds before deciding to open up this SMWS. To be honest I got it only because it was SMWS and was up for sale at a decent price. Also because the name on the label got stuck in my head.

Acrobat In An Orchestra.

I mean, come on! How awesome is that name. It tells me absolutely nothing yet compels me to buy it. In fact, in honor of this creative naming system, I am going to dispense with my boring old method of describing flavors and be as SMWS as possible.

The spirit has been matured in a first-fill bourbon barrel for 14 years. Distilled on October 15, 1999 it is served at a cask strength of 59.3%

Nose: Young girl in love for the first time. Gentle breeze rocks the patio chair. Purple petals fall to the ground. Grandma in the kitchen is prepping for dessert. Two children run excitedly in the tall grass. Father is back from the butchers. It's the first day of Spring. 22/25

Palate: Everyone at the dinner table. The dog knocks over the fruit basket. Fire roars strong. Crackles and pops. The walls have memories. Family picture hangs crooked. 22/25

Finish: It's been a long hard day. Hands are calloused. Trying to sleep but the mind is wide awake. 22/25

Overall Comments: OK I have no idea what I've written. But you know why I wrote it so you're going to have to live with it. Don't blame me. Blame the acid trippers over at SMWS. Do I like it? Yes, of course. It's pretty damn good!

PS : I'm going to destroy the original notes so that I never come back and taint this version.

PPS : Add a splash of water and it turns to summer.

Whisky details

Distillery/Brand:

Highland Park

Bottling:

SMWS 4.195

ABV:

59.3%

Colour:

Young Sauternes

Comments

Alexsweden

Alexsweden wrote:

Honestly, I love the notes!

18 September 2015 08:17
Victor

Victor wrote:

@MaltActivist, Bravo! Keep that shit up! Great poetic reviewing, my friend.

Haiku...re-view.

Absolutely, as you say, how can you not be mesmerized by a whisky named, "Acrobat in An Orchestra"? I can't say I like all of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society names as much as that one though.

18 September 2015 15:03
OlJas

OlJas wrote:

This is great.

18 September 2015 21:42
MaltActivist

MaltActivist wrote:

Thank you gents! It wasn't easy to write I'll tell you that!

21 September 2015 12:05
Victor

Victor wrote:

Great art is seldom easy.

21 September 2015 12:58
MaltActivist

MaltActivist wrote:

@Victor haha you make me laugh!

22 September 2015 12:53

Add a comment

You must be logged in to comment if you don't have an account why not sign up?

Whisky reviews by distiller (A - D)