Laphroaig Cask Strength 10 Year old

Beautiful Batch 005

MaltActivist

13th Sep 2013

Tasting Notes by MaltActivist

Laphroaig has been releasing a 10 year old Cask Strength version every year for the last five and I've managed to get my hands on all except the second. So if you have access to Batch 002 somehow please let me know.

Right, now on to the 5.

Strong Laphroaig-ian nose. Unlike the recent Cairdeas releases where the nose has been very subtle this one makes no excuses about it's birth-right. The strong peat, seaweed and iodine burst through beautifully riding on a wave of golden, dark oranges coated in a lovely brown sugar brittle. Finally there's a touch of butterscotch with a crinkling of almond husk and an unusual hint of fresh soap.

The palate is a strong white pepper delivery on a wave of oaky sweet honey, raisins and lemon tart. This one has to stay on the palate for a while to be truly appreciated.

The long long finish is a touch spicy and coats your entire mouth with a slightly chalky (but in a good way), salivating minty finish.

Laphroaig

Region:

Islay

57.2%

Young Sauternes

Comments

WhiskyBee

WhiskyBee wrote:

Thanks for this one. How does 005 compare to the other batches? I've only tried two: 004, which I thought very good, but not quite up to the exceptional standards of 003.

Passing thought of no importance: I've noticed product placements for Talisker and Macallan in recent James Bond films. Perhaps Laphroaig could do the same with batch 007, which will be released the same year (2015) as the next Bond film.

14 September 2013 02:51
rigmorole

rigmorole wrote:

Brilliant review!

14 September 2013 05:56
tjb

tjb wrote:

Great review. I rate the 003 as well. Yours thoughts on 3, 4 & 5 would be interesting .

14 September 2013 08:05
wtrstrnghlt

wtrstrnghlt wrote:

Batch 002 is still available at one of my favorite Whisky shops. Only problem is: it is based in holland. Although they do ship elsewhere.

14 September 2013 15:28
MaltActivist

MaltActivist wrote:

@WiskyBee The 007 is a great idea! I think they could do something cool with that. @rigmorole Thanks, my friend. As always you're far too generous with your praise @tjb I'm planning a Batch 3,4 & 5 comparison soon. Will keep you posted. @wtrstrnghlt You're a star! Now to figure out how to get them to deliver to my neck of the woods. But thanks again!

14 September 2013 18:27
wtrstrnghlt

wtrstrnghlt wrote:

@tabarakrazvi chances are that I'm going to visit Dubai coming year. http://www.connosr.com/wall/discussion/314910/lesser-known-sherry-bombs/

I don't know how customs are about bringing in alcohol from Holland? But I could bring it over when it's still available.

19 September 2013 04:38