Ledaig 10 Year old

Lovely peaty dram

2nd Dec 2015

Tasting Notes by Georgy

Nose: first impression: balanced sweet peatiness with hints of spice; Then peat grows stronger and literarily punches you in the face. After a while it reveals other medicinal notes, burnt wood, toasted nuts; almonds, and vanilla. With a few drops of water the peat subsides.

Taste: big sweet peat arrival; with a drop of water it becomes richer and richer in flavor; light saltiness; malty sweetness, lemon zest, a touch of white fruit; dried herbs; there is definitely a very beautiful note of cinnamon; slightly drying at the end;

Finish: burnt wood, a kind of aftertaste that reminds me of a bonfire which is going out in damp weather; Leaves you with a dry aftertaste. In the empty glass there is this note of artist’s paint.

Overall impression:

I picked this one up out of curious and I must say, although I am not a big fan of peated whiskies as such, I quite enjoyed this dram. It’s interesting and well worth a try.

OlJas wrote:

Literally! :)

Did it hit you with much rubber? I've often seen rubber as a dominant tasting note and it really marred the one dram of this that I personally had (at a bar a couple years ago). To be fair, though, that might have been some power of suggestion going on.

03 December 2015 19:01

Georgy wrote:

@OIJas yeah ) that's what happens to one's English after a few drams. I didn't get any rubber notes here. But this whisky turned out to be a wonderful surprise, since I'd not read any tasting notes beforehand. I guess that is the best way to go about tasting notes: first try a whisky yourself and see what you can pick up, and then read other people's notes. I find when you read tasting notes beforehand - you tend to search for those aromas and flavors that you've read about. And in that way you become limited. Coming back to the point - for me there is definitely no rubber here.

03 December 2015 22:46

Alexsweden wrote:

I also believe that is the right way to go about reviewing whisky. Spot on Georgy!

04 December 2015 08:52

Georgy wrote:

Another tasting note which is noticeable in this whisky is tar soap=))

07 December 2015 16:00