Locke's 8 Year old

The Silent Partner

15th Mar 2010

Tasting Notes by markjedi1

This whiskey was originally produced at John Locke’s & Sons distillery near Kilbeggan, but is currently put on the market by Cooley’s. This single malt is a pure pot still, a procedure unique to Ireland whiskey.

This one has a typical Irish nose with lots of fruity barley, loads of oak and some citrus grass.

Pretty creamy, this dram fills your mouth with peaches. It’s very fruity and fresh, but leaves the mouth dry.

The finish is disappointingly short, with a hint of peat and slightly peppered.

This bottle can be obtained at retailers for about 30 pounds and is worth every penny. It’s one of the lesser gods from Cooley’s, always in the shadow of Kilbeggan, Tyrconnell and the Connemara series. Something of a silent partner, if you know what I mean.

jdcook wrote:

Sounds like a decent little dram!

16 March 2010 04:17

markjedi1 wrote:

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. Having said that though... I do have a soft spot for Irish whiskey. So maybe my scoring is a little influenced. But hey, in the most interesting thread elswhere on this wonderful site, I hear that's absolutely fine LOL :-)

16 March 2010 07:49

jdcook wrote:

Aw shucks! I'm blushing!

16 March 2010 09:14

OlJas wrote:

I don't think this is available in the U.s. (If it is, please share where!) I had a drop in Northern Ireland this summer and thought it was quite nice: nothing bad, all good stuff, but somewhat subdued. I would have snatched up a bottle at 30-35 pounds.

I read elsewhere that it's Cooley's lower-peat version of Connemara, or something like that. That sounds about right based on my one taste experience. It also would explain why it's unfamous.

18 August 2014 07:29