Mackmyra Brukswhisky

Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata)

16th Oct 2015

Tasting Notes by Rantavahti

Brukswhisky is Mackmyra's core range whisky from Sweden. Mainly matured in first fill Ex-Bourbon barrels and some Ex-Sherry and Swedish oak casks. Small amounts of smoked malt is present in the making of this whisky.

My first experience with Mackmyra (First Edition) wasn't good but since then I've tasted some great products by them, including this Brukswhisky and Svensk Rök (Swedish Smoke).

Since I started referencing Mackmyra with Bergman movies, I'll continue with that theme. Especially when this whisky somehow gave me a feeling of early autumn. It was summery, but with a Scandinavian chill, like a warm, sunny September night breeze.

Light, but bit dramatic – full of good character and some complexity. Yet very easy to drink, and good. Like Ingmar Bergman's movie at its best. That's why I'll call it Autumn Sonata, in honor of the great Swedish director.

Nose: Hints of pear and smoke fade away quickly from the start. Fresh and crispy citrus is the main character. With raw green apples and hints of pine with salty and nutty notes.

Taste: Fruits and peppers, cinnamon apples and some nice toffee. This is the best part, no question about it. Earthy, with minty notes, which gets more powerful by adding water. Hints of peat.

Finish: Oily, but not too oily. Peppery and spicy, with hay on the side. I wish the finish was longer, aftertaste is sour with pine needles.

Balance: Light, but characteristic and in balance.

Tags

Mackmyra

Bottling:

Mackmyra Brukswhisky

41.4%

Sunlight

Comments

Rantavahti

Rantavahti wrote:

I've gathered some more info about Brukswhisky here:

There's also a fascinating link to Whisky Exchange blog article about Mackmyra distillery

16 October 2015 08:16
Alexsweden

Alexsweden wrote:

Good to hear that my fellow Swedes are able to deliver. I've only ever tried one mackmyra but that one was not to my liking, putting it mildly...

16 October 2015 17:46

Rantavahti wrote:

@Alexsweden I also had a rough start with Mackmyra but nowadays it's been fantastic. Nice to bump into core range NAS stuff, which is this good. And Svensk Rök is truly amazing, I'll be posting my review about it very soon

19 October 2015 18:49