Van Winkle's 13 Year old Family Reserve Rye

Sunshine in a Bottle

MuddyFunster

31st Dec 2014

Tasting Notes by MuddyFunster

So I've had a few forays into Bourbon, but so far with little success. They've been too big and hot for my palate compared with the single malts and master blends I'm into.

That was until I finally got to try my first Van Winkles. The key is perhaps the wheat content, which softens and mellows the flavours. Ageing might also be a factor in the depth and subtlety of this whiskey.

Tracking down a bottle to buy has been too tricky, so in the UK I visit the Craft Beer Co bars to drink these. Out of all of the Van Winkle stable the 13 Year Old Rye is the one I keep coming back to.

Colour: A tawny golden orange sunset to light brown.

Nose: The most alluring aspect of this Van Winkle. Fruity, grape, vanilla, spicy, maple syrup, caramel, and then an added dimension of a white wine vinous quality like a light sherry, cognac or a fine Sauternes. It's a character I call sunshine in a bottle. Sweet vinous depth. There are also the faintest hints of new leather.

Taste: A little hot on the first couple of sips and then it smoothens out quickly. Toasty oak and vanilla, spicy, maple syrup sweetness, caramel, that white grape vinous note, Sauternes, rye grain tang and spiciness.

Finish: this is long lingering and deep. Toasty oak and vanilla, caramel, creamy. Wow.

Tags

Van Winkle

47.8%

Full Gold

Comments

Pierre_W

Pierre_W wrote:

Great review, @MuddyFunster! The only Van Winkle that I ever got to try was the 23-year old and I loved it. This Reserve Rye sounds equally tasty - many thanks for bringing it to my attention!

31 December 2014 15:54
Benancio

Benancio wrote:

@MuddyFunster. Nice review, pretty much spot on. I picked up a bottle of this 4 years ago, great stuff. I'm down to 1/2 a bottle now so I only pour a dram a year. Keep trying those bourbons, they will start to grow on you.

Cheers.

02 January 2015 00:48
MuddyFunster

MuddyFunster wrote:

Oh you have a bottle! That makes me jealous right off the bat. After drinking this the taste has lingered in my memory. It's actually made it difficult for me to go back to single malts, as the sweetness and toasty vanilla oak of Bourbon has really got under my skin. Just tried Buffalo Trace which was very solid.

03 January 2015 23:26