Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

50/50

0 10

@havardg
havardg started a discussion

Hi. I recieved a bottle called 50/50 (50 % MacAllan and 50% Laphroig) - still haven't made up my mind about it, but would like to add it to "my cabinet". Anyone who knows how it is listed in here?

13 years ago

10 replies

@havardg
havardg replied

@lucadanna1985 - thanks. I went down to the basement and got the bottle to be sure - and it appears to be the same whiskey that you sent med the link for, but with a different name. After a little googling I discovered that my version seems to be espseially made for Thomas Cook - and now also for the Skandinavian market. See the similarities: se.airshoppen.com/produkter/…

13 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

@havardg very interesting stuff, I didn't know there was a special edition...what about the whisky? are you planning to drink it or to collect?

13 years ago 0

@havardg
havardg replied

@lucadanna1985 - oh I drink all my whiskey :) but I try not to finish the bottles, so that I always have some left for later. I still don't know how to registrer it in my cabinet though. Scottish single? Scottish Blend? Indipendent destillaries? I can't find Douglas Laing anywhere in the lists.

13 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

@havardg it should be a vatted malt, but the team will soon solve the problem! :)

13 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@lucadanna1985 Actually, 'vatted malt' is a term that is no longer allowed. This is a blended malt. Since Douglas Laing is the bottles, it should be registered under Independent Bottlers. This is part of a series 'Double Barrel', a marriage of always to single casks. These are - as far as I'm aware - the other current releases: 'Ardbeg & Glenrothes', 'Caol Ila & Braeval', 'Highland Park & Bowmore'.

13 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

@markjedi1 thank you! We should create the label "double malt" for these expressions :) IMHO they're much more than usual blends!

13 years ago 1Who liked this?

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@lucadanna1985 I never said they were mere 'usual blends'! I know this is just semantics, but this is a blended malt, to be taken litteraly : a blend of malt whiskies. With 'a usual blend' as you put it, you probably refer to the blended whiskies that not only contain several core (single) malts, but also grain whiskies. Examples are Famous Grouse, J&B, Johnnie Walker, etc...

13 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

@markjedi1 I meant that even if compared with usual blended malts (I have for example a Ballantine's pure malt) these "experiments" made up of only two great distilleries still have something special, but it was only a pun! :)

13 years ago 3Who liked this?

@havardg
havardg replied

@markjedi1 Thank you. I'll registrer it under independent bottlers. And I will most likely try those other ones that you listed.

13 years ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in