Shop

Discussions

Favourite Whisky Influenced Products

2 45

By @Pudge72 @Pudge72 on 9th Mar 2011, show post

Replies: page 2/2

@YakLord
YakLord replied

@michaelschout @Pudge72 - Absolutely agree on the Innis & Gunn...has anyone actually tried the Grant's Ale Cask Reserve, which uses the barrels that were used to age the Innis & Gunn? Other than that, as @Pudge72 points out, the Harviestoun Ola Dubh Stouts aged in former Highland Park casks are pretty good, too.

11 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Generalissimo

I have no idea how connosr feels about flavoured whiskies, but one of my favourites is Sortilege. It's a whisky out of Quebec that has maple syrup blended into it (no idea how, ie if its mixed in afterwards or aged with it, etc.). It is very sweet, as one might expect, so you can't have a lot of it at one time but it's great as a dessert drink. In my opinion it is one of those things that will polarize people. Either you hate it or you love it. It's easiest found in Ontario or Quebec. Haven't had much luck finding it in Western Canada, although I have seen knock-offs. I also have no idea about finding abroad.

For those interested, the website is www.sortilegewhisky.com

And, I can't go any further without commenting how much I also love Innis and Gunn.

11 years ago 0

@NilsG
NilsG replied

Pour a little Laphroaig Quarter Cask straight onto your haggis. Absolutely fantastic!

11 years ago 0

@CanadianNinja

Innis and Gunn? I am a huge beer fan... at times more so than whisky!! So I am quite embarrassed that I have never heard of this beer. A question for all you Canadians out there (at least the ones from Ontario), this is available at the LCBO? Not at the Beer Store I would assume.

Honestly sound like a great beer... why haven't I heard of this!?

11 years ago 0

@YakLord
YakLord replied

@CanadianNinja - yes, at the LCBO, not The Beer Store - as @Pudge72 noted in the original post it is aged in oak casks which are then used to ACE (or age?) Grant's Ale Cask Reserve Blended Scotch. They were originally just throwing the beer out, but then decided to sell it...they also do a variant that has been aged in former rum casks (which is also fantastic).

11 years ago 0

@paddockjudge
paddockjudge replied

@YakLord - I've tried Grant's Ale Cask Reserve and I like it; something rare, a "hoppy" malt. Also tried the Innis & Gunn and was not a big fan, might have been the wrong day - would much rather drop a whisky bomb into a glass of ale....could just be a boiler-maker flashback.

11 years ago 0

@lostboyscout
lostboyscout replied

I have a great collection of barrel aged barleywines, imperial stouts, and ales right now. My favourite beers during the winter. I am just as much a beer nerd as scotch nerd, perhaps moreso.

11 years ago 0

lvallenari replied

The best thing to happen for whisky for me is The NEAT Glass.
The glass fits nicely in your hand when you swirl-yes, swirl! – breaking the surface tension and activating evaporation. This might seem counter-intuitive after being told never to swirl spirits then sniff. But NEAT’s sexy hourglass shape —discovered then reverse engineered after a happy glass-blowing misfire — lets fast moving ethanol (the stuff that burns out your olfactory receptors) billow out, while the heavy aromatic molecules responsible for taste concentrate in the narrow center of the glass.
I was always turned off to whisky because of the alcohol burn up my nose...not anymore! Now I really enjoy learning to discern the more subtle aromas in whisky.

11 years ago 0

@NilsG
NilsG replied

@lvallenari "Message sponsored by NEAT"

We just recently had a discussion thread about the neat glass just recently with varying opinions. You should check it out.

11 years ago 0

lvallenari replied

@NilsG thanks! I'll check it out. I know the inventors of the NEAT glass I'll ask them to chime in on the discussions

11 years ago 0

@NilsG
NilsG replied

@lvallenari Oh please do! That would be interesting. I really like the concept of allowing the nose to pick up some of the more delicate aromas without adding water, cause I like the alcohol sting and don't want to dilute. I would love to try the glass out one day. But to be honest I'm a little sceptic.

11 years ago 0

lvallenari replied

@NilsG George Manska has replied to several points made in the discussion about The NEAT Glass. connosr.com/wall/discussion/… Check them out. The thing that I noticed most throughout all of the posts is that no one had actually tried The NEAT Glass yet. Hopefully George's comments will motivate them to try it.

11 years ago 0

@rie
rie replied

I want to replace my Burt's Bees' lip balm with the Laproaig and Honey lip balm !

11 years ago 0

Liked by:

@YakLord@Cardinal