1 73

By @darktrader @darktrader on 6th Nov 2011, show post

Replies: page 3/3

DevD replied

@DevD , I mean Speyburn 10

12 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Mantisking
Mantisking replied

@Marcus Black Bottle is an Islay blend, well, except for the grain alcohol portion. All the malt in it comes from Islay.

12 years ago 0

@chuck51
chuck51 replied

@DevD Wow, I'd be all over that. The Speyburn 10 is way too drinkable.

12 years ago 0

Marcus replied

The grocery store where I buy my liquor has a better Scotch selection than the major local liquor store. They recently had both Laphroaig 10 for $39.00 per bottle and Ardbeg 10 for $43.00 per bottle. Definitely quite reasonable.

12 years ago 0

@moy71
moy71 replied

@A'bunadhman ... $48.98? whereabouts is this? my local danmurphys pricing nevel goes below $50

12 years ago 0

@Abunadhman
Abunadhman replied

@moy71 : Dan Murphy's Middle Park. It has gone back up after Xmas They had many Whiskies at discounted prices and a lot of them have not reappeared. A'bunadh was down from Au.$103.00 to $94.00 plus a host of others. The staff say the prices are in part tied to the exchange rate.

At the moment Dan Murphy has Aberlour 10yo. for $53.95 but the shelf is empty; my local independant has it for $49.99. Good value either way!

@Pudge72
Pudge72 replied

@two-bit-cowboy...I have also enjoyed the Deanston VO and consider it to be one of the best values in Ontario. A very interesting bottling.

12 years ago 0

@Pudge72
Pudge72 replied

@Pudge72 ...alas, the Deanston is currently completely gone from LCBO listings. :( Hopefully it will come back (along with Ardmore Traditional Cask and Glenfarclas 15...a great 'high quality/decent price' value whisky for a slightly older bottling). Bookers Small Batch Bourbon is also a very high quality/decent price bottle.

12 years ago 0

@maltymatt
maltymatt replied

Aberlour abunadh,glenmorangie nectar dor,highland park 12 and auchentoshan 12 !

12 years ago 0

@talexander
talexander replied

@Pudge72, I was lucky enough to grab a bottle of Deanston's Virgin Oak some time ago, and have quite enjoyed it - and can attest to the value (I believe it was around $40CDN or perhaps less). But if I really had to give a top mark to price/quality ratio, it would have to be Ballantine's 17 Years Old. Though it is somewhere between $80-90CDN at LCBO, it is widely available and is one of the greatest whiskies I have ever had, making it more than worth the price.

12 years ago 0

@Pudge72
Pudge72 replied

@talexander...My Deanston VO experience comes from having shared several drams from a bottle of it that was bought by @WhiskyJoe, when he was looking for something different to purchase for our December tasting with @Victor (and others, of course) in Toronto. The use of new casks in a Scotch whisky piqued our curiousity.

12 years ago 0

@ryanthesculptor

I think Teacher's Highland Cream is a very nice blended Scotch for about $17 a bottle. This is my everyday whisky. I think it is better than a lot of single malts that are about twice as expensive. I would drink this over say Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 any day. In fact the only reason I still have Glenlivet 12 in my cabinet is because my girlfriend gave me a bottle for Christmas, God bless her. I am speaking as someone who earns a salary that prohibits considering a $50ish bottle of whisky in the "value" range. Well OK, of course the greatest value ever is Ardbeg Uigeadail. I mean they're selling Nirvana for $75. Now that's value!

@Abunadhman
Abunadhman replied

@ryanthesculptor...Ardbeg Uigeadail. I mean they're selling Nirvana for $75. Now that's value!

+1. What a delightful 'turn of phrase'.

12 years ago 0

Liked by:

@Cardinal

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in