Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

WhiskyBlender.com

2 24

@markjedi1
markjedi1 started a discussion

Anybody else checked out this new site yet? Looks interesting from a 'fun' point of view. I ordered my bottle last week and got it this morning. Looks good (hope it tastes good as well). Nice idea for a gift too. Your thoughts?

12 years ago

24 replies

@drinix
drinix replied

This seems like real fun!! Show us your recipe.

12 years ago 1Who liked this?

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@drinix As a '1st Xperiment' (the name I put on the label), I was looking for something sweet and light as an aperitif and used these ingredients: 300ml Burnt Puddin', 40ml Taste of the Sea, 200ml Soft & Fruity, 100ml Touch of Spice, 30ml Smoke on the Water and 30ml Banana Split. My bottle code, if you wish to look it up (or order one), = WBVK364. Enjoy!

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

As a comparative service it's also well worth checking out Master of Malt's "Blend Your Own Whisky" www.masterofmalt.com/blend-your-own-whisky/

The difference being that you can order a Blending Kit which has 12 sample sized bottles of the component whiskies, this means you can actually test different recipes at home before you order the whisky. The interface for entering your recipe online is also very intuitive.

With the Master of Malt version it is very clear what type of whisky you are adding, for example "Malt base" or "Old Highland Single Malt (Sherry Finish)". With the WhiskyBlender.com version it's a bit more ambiguous, for instance "Vanilla Fudge" or "Smoke on the Water".

Both are certainly innovative services and we wish them well!

12 years ago 3Who liked this?

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@Jean-Luc Thanks for pointing that out. That seems to be at least the same amount of fun, but indeed you have more options. I'm going to give that a try right away!

12 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

the only problem with MoM service, if I'm not mistaken, is that depending on which recipe you choice they will ask you to buy a whole case of six...I was just trying to see how much a "premium" recipe would cost and, although the price was not prohibitive, there was no way of ordering a single bottle (but I was really only playing with "very old grain" and "old islay" buttons)...if the info is wrong or misleading please correct me!!!

12 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@lucadanna1985 When I tried, I got the choice: buy one or buy a case of six and get a discount. Maybe you should try again?

12 years ago 0

@lucadanna1985

@markjedi1 from what I managed to understand the issue was that I picked up the most expensive ingredients (but again, I was simply playing) and with that kind of recipe it was not possible to order a single bottle, but I will try again and keep you updated! anyway, it's really funny, the guys at master of malt always come up with something new!

@Mantisking
Mantisking replied

I stumbled across both sites last week and spent most of a day fiddling with them. I've yet to order anything and probably won't as I live in Massachusetts.

12 years ago 0

@chuck51
chuck51 replied

Never blended, have no clue what's coming my way, but it looks like a lot of fun and I had to do it. Thanks Mark!

12 years ago 2Who liked this?

@ssmith84
ssmith84 replied

This is so much fun, I can't afford to order it yet but I have added it to my list of "stuffs to do" list! I did start blending my own at home in a decanter of mostly finished bottles though. Also quite fun but I only wish that I had more to pick from here at home...

Anyone else experiment this way at home before and what were your results?

@SquidgyAsh
SquidgyAsh replied

@markjedi1 What did you think of your whisky? How did it taste? I've been eyeing this site for a few days now for my next body and am quite curious how taste vs value you would consider it. I'm debating it for a wedding present for my wife and I to play around with.

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@SquidgyAsh It's not bad at all! A tad unbalanced, though, but that's my own fault. Instead of choosing a leading malt and topping up the bottle with other whiskies, I played around with the app too much not giving it enough thought (see my 'recipe' in the third post in this thread). But I'll write up some real tasting notes and post them after the weekend.

12 years ago 0

@SquidgyAsh
SquidgyAsh replied

@markjedi1 Thanks Mark!!! Great review. I'm rather eager to try it out, but I think my blend is going to be along the lines of 100mls of burnt pudding, 30mls taste of the sea, 200mls of vanilla fudge, 130mls of soft and fruity, 20mls smoke on the water, 200mls banana split, 20mls touch of spice.

I'm quite eager for my next bottle purchase so I can try it out. I'm hoping it will be good!!

@Alanjp
Alanjp replied

Thanks to seeing the video that Mark linked to i had the inspiration to create my own blend! I love the concept of the site, being able to have your own blend with your own name on, that essentially you have created is a great feeling!

I wasnt very adventurous with the name of the blend (AJPs First Blend) but i thought i would start off simple! It arrived in the post 10 days after ordering, which was more than acceptable, and now it takes pride of place on my shelf at the moment! Much like @markjedi1 alluded to in his video review, i am going to sample it over the next week or so, but then leave it to really blend and marry up so that in a month or two i will be able to see how it's progressed!

I've already reccomended the site to a couple of friends who will be creating their very own blends soon, and i think for the whisky lover it is a great experience!

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@Alanjp Looking forward to your findings! My '2nd Xperiment' is in the post as we speak (as the first is empty already).

12 years ago 0

@revgoomba
revgoomba replied

@Alanjp - tell me you'll be doing a video too. I loved Mark's. Would be amazing to hear your take on the while experience too.

@Alanjp
Alanjp replied

@revgoomba I am going to try, I've been in the whiskypod doing videos before but doing one myself may be a bit tricky!

@revgoomba
revgoomba replied

@Alanjp - Well, I can't wait! My wee brother just reviewed his. His whisky was delicious (although his review is somewhat... um... uninformative - but then, he's not a whisky drinker really, although he might be now as he loved the whisky) and it would be great to hear how others compare.

12 years ago 0

@Alanjp
Alanjp replied

Well I took the plunge and did a video review, some have seen it already but now to unleash it on you guys! www.youtube.com/watch I hope the link works! The sound isnt great, bit quiet actually, but i would advise you not to watch it on your mobile, as the sound doesnt work at all then!

Marcus replied

At my local liquor store, I recently saw a "home whisky making kit". I didn't really have time to look into it, but it appeared to have several bottles of grain alcohol and a small cask in the package. Has anyone used/seen/experimented with one of these kits? I think it would be kind of fun, especially if you can cask it yourself.

12 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@Alanjp I enjoyed your little movie, my friend. Thanks for the plug, by the way :)

12 years ago 0

@Alanjp
Alanjp replied

@markjedi1 Glad you enjoyed it, and as for the plug, you'll get a repeated plug whenever i review a WhiskyBlender dram :)

@Wills
Wills replied

@markjedi1 Thx for the great video, I really enjoyed it.

Nobody knows which particular whiskys make the selection to choose from? Either at Whiskyblender.com or at Masterofmalts.com?

12 years ago 0

Liked by:

@revgoomba@jeanluc

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in