Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Hello! Now show me the chocolate!

2 13

@Russ
Russ started a discussion

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and a bit new to whisk(e)y. I had gone through all of my life with less than a handful of whiskey beverages, and they were all mixed with diet coke. I didn't drink anything stronger than beer, and had not a drop of distilled alcohol at home.

Well, I'm also a Mets fan. At the end of last season I needed a drink. Yes, the Mets drove me to drink, but I had nothing but water. So I started some research on the internet, and made my first purchase in October. Tito's Vodka (still not opened,) Teacher's, and Buffalo Trace. The two bottles of whisk(e)y were enjoyed neat over a few weeks, and I never even drunk to excess. I simply enjoy the stuff. New bottles of different whiskies have come and gone, and I am greatly enjoying this new hobby.

Early on in my research, I noted that people describe the very different flavors between whiskies. One word stood out to me: Chocolate. I've always loved chocolate. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. The idea of whisk(e)y that tastes like chocolate has turned into a quest. Of all the bottles that I've purchased, I would only describe two as having a prominent chocolate flavor on the palette. They are Dalmore 12 and Dalmore Gran Reserva. The Dalmores have seemed too watered down, although I've enjoyed them. A bottle of Dalmore 15 will join me in the near future.

Now I don't always want that chocolate flavor when I drink. I'm now on my second bottle of Auchentoshan which may be as far from chocolate as I've tasted. I'll keep Auchentoshan around for those times when I want that sweet lowland vanilla taste. I love my Eagle Rare 10, and have recently fallen in love with Glendronach 15 (which has some notes of chocolate, but they seem to be melted in with the dark fruit.) So I'm not all about chocolate.

Well, I still need my chocolate, and I'd like to know what else is out there. Preferable for less than US$100 a bottle. Will anyone show me the chocolate?

Happy drinking,

Russ...

12 years ago

13 replies

@Victor
Victor replied

Pricey, but big chocolate, and some bitter coffee on the finish: Glenmorangie Signet. It's made from barley which has been toasted/roasted similar to that for porter and stout beers. Costs avg. around $ 175-200 per 750 ml.

12 years ago 0

@Bigtuna
Bigtuna replied

Along the same lines as the Signet there is the Balvenie 14 Year Old / Roasted Malt. However, I can't tell you personally if it has the chocolate you are looking for. I can speak of the Macallan 15 Fine Oak, it left a nice chocolate aftertaste I remember, I also remember it being a great all around whisky.

12 years ago 0

@Mammon
Mammon replied

The Bowmore Original 12 Years Old is an affordable chocolate tasting whisky with some peat flavours. But if you want a so called chocolate malt (dominant chocolate flavours) you have to follow Victors suggestion. The Signet is a delicious whisky.

12 years ago 0

Jason0142 replied

I Agree with Victor, the whisky with the bigest chocolate note (rich dark chocolate IMO) is the Glenmo Signet. Quite expensive but I Loved the stuff. If you don't like the price of the Glenmo signet I'd recommend giving the Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX a go. I found that malt to be delightful and for me at least it had a large chocolate note running though it. Also while I haven't tried it yet (and as such can't give a recommendation) I've heard a whisky called Fettercairn Fior has large chocolate notes.

11 years ago 0

@Russ
Russ replied

I appreciate everyone's feedback. The Glenmorangie Signet will have to go on a wish list for me. The Balvenie 14 Roasted Malt, Fettercairn Fior, and Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX don't seem to be available near me. Are these still made and/or available in the U.S.?

The Macallan 15 FIne Oak is on my list of bottles to get.

I may pick up a bottle of Bowmore, but I'm thinking about the 15 Darkest. Any thoughts?

11 years ago 0

Jason0142 replied

The liquor shops in my local area generally have a poor whisky selection, for what I can't get where I live I import from this store:

www.thewhiskyexchange.com

Just be aware if you import you might be charged a tax on the importation of alcohol.

11 years ago 0

@Wills
Wills replied

@Russ I have to push this nice thread. I am tasting my bottle of Bowmore Darkest soon. Hope to find some chocolate there.

In Bowmore 21 yo (1989 2010 Murray McDavid) I had quite a lot of nut-grape-chocolate, also Noah's Mill has rich roasted coffee and chocolate on the nose and palate.

Would love to try the Signet, it's on my wishlist ;)

11 years ago 0

@Pudge72
Pudge72 replied

Great thread Russ! I found a couple of bourbons, Booker's Small Batch and (if you can still find it) Parker's Heritage Collection 4th ed. (10 yo wheated bourbon), to have chocolate notes. Fair warning though, it does not seem to be a common experience for everybody.

A couple of Scotch whiskies (beyond 'Victor's bang-on suggestion about the Signet) could include the right Port finished/aged whisky (i.e. Balvenie Portwood 21 yo) and, since you're in NYC, you should be able to track down an independent bottling of a Dalmore somewhere. I have no experience myself, but reviews and general discussion comments seem to suggest that many IB Dalmores are good - excellent (and much better than the OB's), since they aren't weakened to 40% and caramel coloured to death, as almost all of the OB's are. Sorry, I don't have a specific suggestion for a particular IB to try.

If you want to try an Irish whiskey, Jameson 18 yo might be a good bet, depending on which year's bottling (as there is some batch variation). See if you can find a bar or good shop where you can try a taste.

11 years ago 0

@jasonbstanding

Aberlour 16 has a nice chocolatey note to it as well.

11 years ago 0

RedmondBarry replied

Pritchard's Double Chocolate Bourbon has intense, upfront cocoa notes, especially on the nose. The bourbon's chocolate flavor on the palate serves as a backdrop to the traditional bourbon profile and is very dark - to be clear, this is not a liqueur or cloying. I love it.

11 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Russ
Russ replied

@Jason0142 Thanks for the heads-up about thewhiskyexchange.com . Some time ago I ordered six bottles from there: Fettercairn Fior which you mentioned, Glendronach 15 Tawny Port Finish, Springbank Rundlets & Kilderkins, Bladnoch 20 ex-Bourban Cask, Greenspot and Powers John's Lane 12. These are all whiskies that are not available in the U.S. They arrived really fast — two business days after I ordered! Most were not ordered for my pursuit of chocolate.

The Fettercairn Fior was ordered for the chocolate taste. It's not a great whisky, but definitely an enjoyable one. The chocolate is there. The Fior is a bit one dimensional, and the finish is short. But what it does do, it does very well. Most of the bottle is still here because I'll have to eventually order again from the UK, and shipping for just one bottle is rather expensive.

@Wills I did buy a bottle of Bowmore 15 Darkest. It's a good whisky, but I was somewhat disappointed. Chocolate notes are definitely there, but I found the mouthfeel somewhat thin. I just don't believe that it is worth $70. I may look out for some other Bowmores in the future, like the IB 21 that you mention.

As far as Noah's Mill, I went through a bottle of it. I enjoyed it, but nearly as much as others have. I also didn't find much in the way of chocolate, but that could just be my bottle.

@Pudge72 I'll put the Booker's on my wish list. The Parker's 4th doesn't seem available anymore. The Balvenie 21 Portwood is bit steep for me. Also, I've had two whiskies with a port finish, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and Glendronach 15 Tawny Port, and I found chocolate in neither, so I'm a bit reluctant to go down the port rout at this time in the pursuit of chocolate. An IB Dalmore sounds like a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for one.

@jasonbstanding Aberlouer 16 will go on my wish list.

@RedmondBarry Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon is a great suggestion, but I don't know where to buy a bottle.

11 years ago 0

RedmondBarry replied

Prichard's is not widely available so you will most likely have to order it online. It looks like hi time wine cellars, san francisco wine trading company, and toast wines by taste have it in stock.

11 years ago 0

@two_bitcowboy

@Russ Although these two don't compete with Victor's Glenmorangie Signet on most levels, they do fit within your stated budget:

Aberlour a'Bunadh (Batch 40 is the latest one I've tried) and Glenfarclas 105 are wonderful sherried whiskies that offer a bit of chocolate. Since both are cask strength you needn't worry about them giving that watered down sensation!

Enjoy.

11 years ago 0

Liked by:

@JonMarriage@Pudge72

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in