Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

What whisky should I get for my 30th birthday

0 16

MrCappy started a discussion

It had to happen... I am turning 30 this year! Apart from the few grey hairs sprouting on my fringe, it is not all bad - I can shop around for whisky! My question for all you much more experienced whisky drinkers is: what whicky should I get for my birthday? I have narrowed my options to the following (after having carefully considered budget of about $250-$300):

Option one: Black Bull 40 Year Old Scotch blend

Option two: Whyte and MacKay 30 Year Old blend

Option three: Two or three less costly whiskies costing about $300 in total. If so, which would you suggest?

Option four: Something else. If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you for your help!

11 years ago

16 replies

@MaltyMike
MaltyMike replied

@MrCappy I would go with option three, and one of the bottles would be a Highland Park 18yo!

11 years ago 0

@UisgeJon
UisgeJon replied

@MrCappy I am not remotely a seasoned whisky master like many others on this site, but I had a dram of Tomatin 43 year this last week, and it was an amazing dram. Truly fantastic. I wrote a review about it if you care to check it out. The bottle, I believe, runs about $210 if I'm not mistaken.

That's my two cents! Good luck!

11 years ago 1Who liked this?

MrCappy replied

@MaltyMike Highland Park 18 is definately on my list.

@Jonhelmkamp I'm glad that you had a chance to enjoy the Tomatin 43! I have no doubt that it is an amazing whisky, just as you describe.

Thanks for your comments.

11 years ago 0

@Fons
Fons replied

If you can get the Black Bull 40 years old, get that! It is very véry limited and supposed to be absolutely delicious. I've never found an negative review on it. Check out this review from Ralfy for instance:

www.youtube.com/watch

Jim Murray is also quite keen on it. The White & Mackay 30 or Highland Park 18 you can get whenever you want in the future, but if you've got the opportunity to get hold of a black bull 40, seize it!

11 years ago 0

@cpstecroix
cpstecroix replied

The black bull 40 is an amazing dram...not had the W&M. You could also grab an older Glenfarclas? I might go BB40 though...

11 years ago 0

@Bourbondork
Bourbondork replied

If you can find a whiskey distilled in the year of your birth, that would be a neat addition. Other than that, get what you want to celebrate this life milestone.

@WhiskyBee
WhiskyBee replied

Don't overlook the Black Bull 30 yo, which I thought was exceptional. It also seems to be a bit more highly regarded than the 40 yo -- and I looked at several dozen reviews of both before deciding which to buy. For instance, the L.A. Whisky Society (lawhiskysociety.com), notoiously tough graders, give the 30 an A-minus, and the 40 a B-minus. The consensus seems to be that the 30 is more vibrant and flavorful than the 40.

But my instincts tell me that you can't go wrong with the 40 either.

11 years ago 0

MrCappy replied

Thanks for the suggestions and links. I will do some research.

11 years ago 0

@Maltmark
Maltmark replied

I will be trying the HP 30 today for the first time. Will let u know.

11 years ago 0

@Maltmark
Maltmark replied

@MrCappy I'm in the same predicament. Turning 40 in April. Should I do 1 special bottle, or 3-4 good bottles of bourbon and single malts. This is the biggest question. Not sure how to make that decision. I love collections and love having options when I invite people over to. The idea of going from 9 bottles to 13 or 14 is exciting. Have u made a decision. BTW, I'm considering the HP 25.

@Victor
Victor replied

@Maltmark, Hey, you only turn 40 once every 40 years! If I had only nine bottles in my cabinet, I would be more inclined to add FORTY BOTTLES!

11 years ago 3Who liked this?

@Maltmark
Maltmark replied

@Victor Adding 40 bottles in less than a 1 year period would probably cost my marriage. I guess I'm not that insane of a conners. Forgive me. LOL

11 years ago 2Who liked this?

@Maltmark
Maltmark replied

The HP 30 is amazing. I give it a 95/100. Best whisky I've had to date. Amazing notes and extremely complex and long lasting. Beats out my Laga 16 DE, Ardbeg uiga and Aberlour Abunnah. To sum it up in a phrase, "The best of all worlds" in regards to balance of multiple flavors.

11 years ago 0

MrCappy replied

@Maltmark Yes I've decided on the Black Bull 40 Year Old! It is incredible.

@Fons
Fons replied

@MrCappy I would imagine it is indeed. Enjoy it!

11 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in