Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Private Edition Part IV: Glenmorangie Ealanta

0 17

stakenblocken started a discussion

masterofmalt.com/Blog/post/…

Here are details about Glenmorangie's 2013 private edition whisky, Ealanta, which means skilled and ingenious in Gaelic. In is a 19 year old scotch aged in new American oak barrels. It sounds like it's going to be more expensive than previous private editions, crossing the one hundred US dollars line. I'm intrigued but a little bit let down too. The only new oak Scotch I've ever had is Glenlivet 15, which is probably the smoothest Scotch I've ever had but it's also one of the most boring. I'll wait until the whisky gets released more widely and see what reviewers have to say. From the little bits I've read here and there so far it sounds good, but who knows. It's a little too pricey for me. If I were to spend that much, I should probably just buy a bottle of Sonnalta from The Whisky Exchange before it's gone forever and I come to regret never having been able to try it.

11 years ago

17 replies

@Onibubba
Onibubba replied

My experience with the Private Edition line is the Sonnalta PX and the Artein. Both of which I would buy again and again, just to always have them available. I currently have 4 Sonnaltas. If you like sherried whisky, get one. I will buy a bottle of Ealanta for sure, but I am wary as the last bottle of Glenmo I purchased, the 18, was very lack luster. Hoping the Ealanta hits the US in the next week or 2. I will post a review. Hope you do the same.

11 years ago 0

@Victor
Victor replied

@stakenblocken, $ 100+ here looks steep for Ealanta. I have to know I like something to put that out. Sonnalta and Artein are great, but Finealta was so-so. I will wait and see, get a taste if I can, and not bother if I can't.

11 years ago 0

@two_bitcowboy

At 19 years old I'm quite sure LVMH won't have any trouble selling it for their price. I do wish they would have upped the ante and given it to us at cask strength (memories of Astar!).

You have to consider, though, it was a gutsy move 19 years ago to pour whisky into virgin casks. Certainly not the norm back then and sort of a risk too, like finishing whisky in a variety of odd casks: sherry, port, and sauternes wine. What will Dr. Bill come up with next?

11 years ago 0

@JoeVelo
JoeVelo replied

I'll have to get it since I already have the three previous edition. I hope it will be well rated. I also hope it will be afordable. I love Scotch whisky but I get very annoyed by all these new expensives whiskies.

11 years ago 0

@Wills
Wills replied

@JoeVelo Then I would think twice about it before purchasing just because I have the other bottles of the collection ;)

I know that feeling you are speaking about but I try to resist...

11 years ago 0

@Onibubba
Onibubba replied

@Wills Not sure what you mean there. I found both the Artein and PX to be 90+ whiskies for under 100.00. Of course, we all have different tastes, but I thought these two were exemplary.

11 years ago 1Who liked this?

@BlueNote
BlueNote replied

I think what @Wills means is that sometimes the collector gene kicks in before the common sense gene. I know the feeling, I have far too many bottles that I had to buy just because I didn't have them, not particularly because I knew they were great. I guess the answer is to get a sample if possible and then decide if it's worth popping for the bottle. You can't get any of this stuff for chump change these days. I will say, however, that I bought the Sonalta PX based on reviews, loved it, and immediately grabbed another. It's often a crap shoot, great if you win, expensive if you lose.

11 years ago 2Who liked this?

@BlueNote
BlueNote replied

PS. I usually figure if @Victor likes it, I probably will too.

11 years ago 0

@Onibubba
Onibubba replied

@BlueNote True! :) He was certainly my inspiration to buy the PX, and I am thankful for the info. That is what makes this site, among a few others, invaluable to the otaku whisky fans out there. With such exorbitant prices coupled with limited, one time only releases, we need honest, open dialog.

But as I said, taste is always subjective. I've certainly bought a few bottles based on great reviews that simply were not for me (Longrow CV, Flaming Heart, Glenmo 18), but by and large, you all keep me on the straight and narrow.

Also invaluable, LA Whisky Society, and Straight Bourbon websites.

@lmann86
lmann86 replied

Dr Bill is coming to STL next week to present the Ealanta and do a tasting! I'm really looking forward to it! Before she left to join Morrison Bowmore, Rachel Barrie came and did a tasting that was fantastic! I agree with everyone else...Sonnalta and Artein were amazing! I have a few of each...hope Ealanta is on par or maybe even a step up considering the price jump!

11 years ago 0

@NilsG
NilsG replied

@two-bit-cowboy Yes on cask strength! I wish the Sonnalta was cask strength, the only negative thing I have to say about it is that 46% was not enough.

@sengjc
sengjc replied

I was told that this is the successor of the Astar. Is it as good as the Astar?

10 years ago 0

@two_bitcowboy

@sengjc To me Astar is Glenmorangie's Rolls Royce. Ealanta is a close second, with Signet not far behind. I'm a sucker for American oak-matured whisky and all the better if it's delivered at cask strength.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

@two-bit-cowboy I haven't tried the Ealanta but will look out for the opportunity. I too enjoy the Signet but prefer Astar over it.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

Have just shared a couple of generous drams with the father-in-law and we both agree that this is a really fine malt. I think I should look to getting some bottles to keep away before they get all expensive and rare. Certainly the Whisky of the Year status will not help my cause.

10 years ago 0

Rigmorole replied

I've tried the Astar and was not blown away. I'm not a big Glenmorangie fan in general. I did recently buy a bottle of the Ealanta. Haven't opened it. With the Astar, it was fairly light on the mouthfeel and the wood was predominant. It also bit into my gums and felt a little harsh and "alcoholy", kind of the way mouthwash feels in the mouth (though nothing like the flavor of mouthwash).

A few drops of water just seemed to bring out the wood, flavor wise. I like woodiness to take the back seat to other flavors in scotch.

Last year, I tried the Quinta Ruban, the Nectar D'or, and the regular 10. None of them particularly impressed me and I won't be buying another bottle of any of them any time soon. I "cut against the grain" in buying a bottle of the Ealanta, more as a curio than anything else. I may just keep it as a collectable. Who knows. I gave Glenmorangie more than a fair shot. It's just not my cup of tea in general.

10 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in