Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Brandy, Armagnac, and Cognac

3 11

@HughesDePayens
HughesDePayens started a discussion

Hey everyone. I'm fully aware that this board is for whisky discussion, but something I've been curious about is the "other sipping spirit", so to speak. This is, of course, brandy and its kin.

I've been looking things up and there is very little discussion on the subject, and very few websites dedicated to the spirit. We're lucky we have such a wonderful community here at Connosr for whisky, because it appears to me that other spirit drinkers don't have such luxury.

As a result, my only option is to post here and ask the fine people of this community: What do you guys think about brandy? What brands would you consider to be worthwhile from a price:quality ratio perspective? What kinds of flavour profiles do you enjoy in your brandy, and what brandies represent the flavour profiles the best?

I don't really intend on getting myself too fully invested into the world of brandy and its peers, but I do think it would be nice to learn about other spirits, and since I really am not a fan of cocktails in general, brandy is the obvious choice (as it is less commonly associated with cocktails, and is more commonly sipped neat, as opposed to vodka, rum, etc...)

So anyway, I was just curious what everyone's take is on "the other sipping spirit" and what brands might be worth it for a beginner to check out, at a reasonable price, without sacrificing too much of the quality.

11 years ago

11 replies

@lostboyscout
lostboyscout replied

Thanks for posting this, as I'm in the same boat as you. While single malt is the only spirit I'm really interested in having a broad collection of, I would like to have 1-2 bottles of sipping rum, brandy, bourbon, and sipping tequila for a little more variety (and something different to share with friends).

I have the rum and the bourbon covered, but not the brandy or tequila.

11 years ago 3Who liked this?

numen replied

Hi, I'm a big fan of brandy (cognac, armagnac, calvados, etc) too. There's far less discussion around about brandy of any type, though cognac gets the most attention, and some of it is a matter of attention and production. Typically, Cognac/Armagnac production combined is something like 1/10th the scale (if that) of Scotch whisky.

There were some interesting discussions about cognac on Sku's blog (recenteats.blogspot.com) and on the cognac forum (www.thecognacforum.com) where I also post and folks have done tasting notes of various brandies. It's worth checking out. In general, especially when considering cognac, if you're looking for QPR, stay away from the big houses (Courvoisier, Martell, Remy, Hennessy) because so much of what you're paying goes to marketing. Those houses have done an important job in bringing attention to cognac, but they are also hostage to their marketing attempts.

You seem to focus on French grape brandy (vice American, apple, or other types). There are so many differences between everything, terroir makes a difference, grape varietal, and a host of other factors. Most cognac estates tend to dilute their product to 40%, more armagnac houses will keep things uncut and cask strength (usually 45-49%). Cognac is distilled twice, armagnac is done once on a continuous still. People tend to think that armagnac is more 'rustic' than cognac, and a comparison may be bourbon to scotch whisky, but it's an overbroad generalization.

Spanish brandy is also very good, and usually extremely affordable (and quaffable), though it tends to be a bit sweeter. What sort of flavors do you like? Would you like just entry recommendations? What sort of price range might you be considering?

On thing to keep in mind is that cognac is rarely vintage bottled; it's almost always part of a blend. On the other hand, vintage expressions are much more common for armagnacs. Armagnac production is tiny compared to cognac production, which also means that there are fewer expressions that are readily available across the land - less consistency in what people can get in different places.

11 years ago 1Who liked this?

@HughesDePayens

@numen Honestly, I'd love any kinds of flavours, and in terms of price range I really couldn't give you an accurate representation. I'm from Quebec, where we have government-monopolized distribution of alcohol which means that my prices are jacked up compared to yours (probably - an example from the whisky world is Ardbeg, priced at 96$ for the 10 year, and 155 for the Uigeadail)

What if you were to give me one (or a few) fairly-priced (price:quality ratio) in any price range from each category, or flavour profile, however is best to give a fair representation of the spirit overall, and I'll just try them a bit at a time as I feel the need? I think that would serve me best, overall, since I don't know where to start.

Also, I will check out the site you linked me to. It's very difficult to find real discussion on this subject, so I'm glad you've provided me with some valuable resources.

@PMessinger
PMessinger replied

@HughesDePayens Love me some Brandy. Step son in Oregon brought me some Oregon Brandy from Clear Creek Distillery. This stuff is great, they also have a Pear Brandy that is awesome. Great discussion. :)

numen replied

@HughesDePayens, I've heard about the challenges for folks in Canada. I'll try to give a brief discussion of French grape brandy and then offer a few suggestions (looking at the SAQ website). There are legal age statements (VS, VSOP, and XO) for Cognac and Armagnac, though what's often bottled is older than it needs to be for that designation.

Cognac comes from the Cognac region, which is subdivided into a few districts: Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Borderies, Fins Bois, Bons Bois, Bois Ordinaires, and Bois Communs. Champagne refers to the soil rather than the bubbly wine made in eastern France. Many people assume that Cognac from Grande Champagne is the best, but it doesn't have to be. The larger cognac firms don't produce all their own grapes or distillate, and, often, their blends will incorporate stuff from multiple areas. Cognac usually comes from one of three grapes (Ugni Blanc, Folle Blanche, and Colombard, though there are other legal varietals). Producers are also legally allowed to use additives to alter the final product in the bottle: water, sugar, boise, and caramel (for color). Boise is a concoction of wood chips boiled in water, then removing the wood, and reducing the remaining liquid. It gives the impression of greater ageing.

Big houses will often use more of these additives to help create a consistent profile year-in, year-out. The additives in themselves aren't bad, and a good cellar master can turn out great things, but if the additives aren't well integrated, they really stand out.

Armagnac can use additives as well, and can use more grape varietals (including the controversial and prominent Baco grape -- a very interesting history). As I noted earlier, different grapes have slightly different characters. Folle Blanche used to be much more common (through most of the 19th century), it tends to offer higher tones, perfumy, floral, and very graceful. Ugni Blanc can be a little spicier and heavier, dark stone fruit in some profiles. Baco tends to give lots of prune, dates, figs, etc. Colombard, though one of the more common grapes in Cognac, is usually not a dominant grape in a blend.

Just as district location plays a role in Cognac, so too does it with Armagnac. Different locales have their own character, and I've got my preferences, too. It's a preference vice a quality difference (I think).

I'll post this and then come back with some recommendations; I just wanted to make sure that I didn't lose the post!

11 years ago 0

numen replied

@HughesDePayens, looking at the SAQ site, I'll give a few recommendations (under $150, if not under $100) with some thoughts on them, if you're ok with that.

Starting with Armagnac: In general, I like Chateau de Laubade, which can have a nice, dark character that's not too sweet, and has a slightly fat profile, despite being (frustratingly) reduced to 40%. I've never had the VSOP (it would have a fair bit of water in it), but the XO, vintages, and older stuff has been excellent. They have some vintages around 1990, which probably would be around 20 years in barrel. I think that it could be on the short side (I think that Armagnac is in the sweet zone between 25 and 35 years, but that's the ideal), and the VSOP/XO may be a better intro.

The 25 year old Dartigalongue could also be very good, but I haven't had that expression. I think is a larger armagnac house (for what it means). The Laubade XO for $78 seems like a good deal on a good bottle. I almost got one the other day for daily drinking at $80USD.

Spanish Brandy: I've had the Lepantos listed, and the Cardenal Mendoza and found all of them very drinkable and very good. They run $60-78 on the site. Gran Ducale is also supposed to be very good. I did tasting notes of some of them on the cognac forum site (under brandy). I'd recommend any/all of 'em.

Cognac: Looking at the XOs, it's tough to get a very good bottle under $120 (the impact of marketing from the bigger houses). The Delamain XO Pale and Dry is supposed to be good, but I can't vouch for it. It's generally going to be a lighter, slightly floral and fruity profile, common in a lot of the mainstream accessible cognacs in that range.

Tesseron is a fantastic producer, and I've adored everything that I've had from them. The stuff is more expensive in Canada, sadly, with the Lot 76 running around $140 there. The Tesseron lot system is supposed to indicate relative age, with the initial batches all allegedly coming from 1976 or earlier (the family, which also owns Pontet-Canet has some of the largest reserves of extremely old Cognac -- also, I want to marry Melanie Tesseron and drink all her wine and cognac).

Leopold Gourmel is supposed to be a good producer who eschews additives, but his VSOP listing there hits around $98. Most of the other VSOPs listed are from major producers, and I would avoid them if possible.

numen replied

@PMessinger The pear brandy was really well crafted, light, subtle, and very easy to sip. I'd definitely be intrigued by the other Clear Creek products based on that. The blackberry liqueur is a delight and I recommend it greatly!

@HughesDePayens

@numen Thanks for the list! I'll see what I can do about getting one or two of the ones you recommended.

I'm happy to know that there's a resident expert on the subject. :)

11 years ago 0

numen replied

@HughesDePayens Thanks! I hope like heck that you enjoy whatever it is that you try :) I'm no expert, just a guy who likes brandy a lot. Whenever you do decide to try something, I'd love to get your thoughts on it.

11 years ago 2Who liked this?

@PMessinger
PMessinger replied

@numen Thanks for the info it's great. Step son in town from Seattle WA. For family B-Day celebrations, no Clear Creek Products bummer, however brought some Woodinville Whiskey Co. Rye and Bourbon. I was hoping for some more Pear Brandy. Thanks again. :)

@maltmileage
maltmileage replied

I am a big fan of diversity and tasting different spirits, so I taste and write about cognac, armagnac, tequila etc I think it is good to experience different spirits, to enhance an appreciation for the characteristics that make whisky whisky! @HughesDePayens

11 years ago 0

Liked by:

@muckrumn@PMessinger

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in