Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Laphroaig Cairdeas years and comparison

0 10

@yori
yori started a discussion

laphroaig Cairdeas may be a clever marketing sceme, but the idea of making a unique whisky each year is great. I wish they would tell me more of whats in it, but the information eventually gets around. Now, when you look at this site, there is a rview for "Laphroaig Cairdeas", and then for some specific expressions, but none for the Cairdeas 2012 "Origin" or the Cairdeas 2013 "Port wood" (they have some reviews under Cairdeas, which has been used since 2008, I believe). Anyway, I would like to know how the latest two compare. I ordered the Port wood a month ago in the US, and someone picked it up for me, but it turned out they gave him a bottle of "Origin". I opened the bottle and was delighted - it is delicious and I will get some more before it is gone (no idea how I will get them to Israel, but hey - I will not drink them all at once...). Bottom line - I don't know how specific whiskies get into the list available for review, but I am sure that it should include under Laphroaig both "Cairdeas 2012 Origin" and "Cairdeas 2013 Port wood". Anyone who can compare is welcome to leave a note here too, as I need to tip my case towards the better one, and I have not tried the port wood yet (nor will I for another month or so...).

10 years ago

10 replies

Rigmorole replied

You are lucky to get either the 2012 or 2013. Please private mail me and tell me from whom you are getting these blessed bottles : )

10 years ago 0

@yori
yori replied

@rigmorole I would have had you sent me a buddy request - as things stand you need to approve my request...

10 years ago 0

@Nemesis101
Nemesis101 replied

I have tried them both and actually find them quite difficult to compare, basically due to their profiles being quite far apart, (at least within the Froyg flavour spectrum). I can't decide which, if either is better - my review scores for them were only one or two points apart. I found the 2012 to be closer to classic Laphroaig, (although that might seem obvious given the 2013 is port casked). I think the 2012 is much more of a relaxing malt. One to lay back on the sofa with and switch off to. The 2013 is more of an inquisitive type dram. One to sit up with and observe from all angles. So I guess it depends what mood you're in at any particular time. I thought they were both great though.

10 years ago 1Who liked this?

@two_bitcowboy

@Nemesis101 What great descriptions of "when" to have each. Your concept, of course, applies to most head-to-head whisky comparisons. Generally speaking one whisky is only "better" than another at a given point in time since the taster might reverse the order on another day.

10 years ago 2Who liked this?

@yori
yori replied

@cowfish I have read that review and many online reviews of either one by itself. I wish to know, and hope to see some opinions, what are the strengths and weaknesses of each, how they compare, and for whoever is writing - which one they prefer. I would be happy to just sum up who prefers which...

10 years ago 0

@cowfish
cowfish replied

@yori Well, that post is my take on the matter - they're very different and which one you like will very much depends on the style of whisky you prefer. If you like wine finished things then you will like the 2013, if you like something a bit more traditionally 'Laphroaig-y' then the Origin is for you.

10 years ago 0

@yori
yori replied

@cowfish In that case I'll probably have to stack up on both... I like the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - I can only imagine how much better a Laphroaig version could be...

10 years ago 0

@cowfish
cowfish replied

@yori Going for both is what I did :)

10 years ago 1Who liked this?

@yori
yori replied

@cowfish ;-) I have not read anything bad about either (some negative reviews of the 2013 seem to me a matter of taste rather than quality - I'll risk it...)

10 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in