Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Looking for a smooth whisky.

0 11

Stoatgobbler started a discussion

Hi, I'm new to whisky, I tried a few, Laphroig, Jamesons, Bushmills, Talisker, Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels & Bowmore.

For my palette Laphroig is too strong, Talisker too rough, ditto Jack Daniels & Southern Comfort, Jamesons is nice enough but little in the way of taste, Bushmills is quite nice and my favourite so far is Bowmore.

To get the list above I've been buying bottles and, in most cases, passing them on after taking a small glass, my friends are happy but my bank balance isn't (smile).

What whiskey would you recommend I try next please?

Stoat

14 years ago

11 replies

@Pierre
Pierre replied

Welcome Stoatgobbler. Sounds like you're not keen on the more peaty, smokey, salty whiskies. Unfortunately on the Scotch front this is what you've been buying.

I reckon you could do worse than something a little softer and more sherried. Maybe a Speyside. Why not try a Balvenie Double Wood or even a Balvenie Signature if you can afford it? About £25 and £30 respectively.

If you live in the UK Tesco, and I think a few other supermarkets, are doing Aberlour 10 for about £16. Like the Balvenie this is another softer Speyside but still a very good quality malt.

All these are accessible, easy drinking whiskies.

Enjoy!

14 years ago 1Who liked this?

@AboutChoice
AboutChoice replied

Hi Stoatgobbler, I have been trying all types of spirits and distillers myself. Currently I like smooth, deeply tasty, complex and a warm (not harsh) finish. I am not crazy about peat/smoke, but now and then I have liked a little.

So hear is what I like so far (also look at my profile). Scotch: (Glenmorangie Original & Nector D'or, Balvenie Double Wood, Springbank (where I like a bit of smoke));. Irish: (Bushmills Black Bush, Jamesons 12, Redbreast, Wild Geese Classic); Tennessee: (Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels Single Barrel); Bourbon: (Woodford Reserve, Jeffersons); Rye: (Sazerac 6-Yr, Russels Reserve Rye); Canadian: (Canadian Club Sheery Cask).

Irish and Canadian whiskey are usually very smooth, but I don't always care for their light, fruity, grassy taste; but the ones I mentioned above are much more flavorful and still very smooth. I think you will like at least some of these, but remember that everyone's liking is a little different ... as well as your preference on difference days.

Oh, and if your are tossing some of those nasty samples, please add me to your friend list :-)

14 years ago 0

@AboutChoice
AboutChoice replied

Oh, I forgot to mention that I almost always add a little water to my sample, and sip them very slowly ... makes a big difference. Also what ever you have eaten before the drink, will often change your taste and appreciation ... as will the amount of samples you have already consumed.

14 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

Hi, Stoatgobbler and welcome to Connosr. It would seem that my friends here completely forgot the best dram for you to try first when getting into whisky (at least for me): Auchentoshan 12 Year Old and Auchentoshan Three Wood. Both are very affordable Lowland whiskies: soft and very accessible! Give it a go, you will not be dissappointed, I think. And if you are, you can always pass on the bottles to me :-)

@WhiskyNotes
WhiskyNotes replied

Hi AboutChoice, it seems you didn't trym any sherried whiskies yet. I would go for that type of whisky if you're looking for punchy yet unpeated and smooth drams. A few examples: Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX, Glenfarclas, Glengoyne 17, Auchentoshan ThreeWood, some Macallans and the Japanese Karuizawa.

14 years ago 2Who liked this?

@WhiskyNotes
WhiskyNotes replied

(sorry I was addressing Stoatgobbler, not AboutChoice - although he didn't try many sherried drams either...)

14 years ago 0

@scribe
scribe replied

Edradour would be worth checking out - seems a bit more palatable to those not used to strong smells, but is a very nice dram. I'd also second Redbreast in the Irishes, although it's been a while since I had any so can't remember exactly what it's like. You might be able to find it in a decent pub, if you're lucky ;)

14 years ago 0

Stoatgobbler replied

Many thanks, tomorrow I'll try & find a Balvenie or one of the sherried whisky's first, failing that it'll be Tesco's and a Aberlour.

Stoat

14 years ago 0

@scribe
scribe replied

Oh, also noticed Waitrose here had Redbreast on offer IIRC. Tempted to get some meself...

@Pierre
Pierre replied

Stoatgobler, if you are after the balvenie you can get it in Sainsbury

14 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in