Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Bowmore Springtide - Any opinion?

0 6

@vanPelt
vanPelt started a discussion

There are not reviews for it here, but I saw it while casually browsing Duty Free. Then I saw the price tag and felt my stomach drop a little.

Has anyone been lucky enough to get gifted with this, or somehow try a taste?

From what I can gather, it is roughly like Bowmore's Darkest or especially their Laimrig, but maybe lighter on the peat (and maybe with a different quality sherry). Just curious.

10 years ago

6 replies

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

The main difference between this and the Darkest is that this one is actually quite good, I didn't take notes and only got a small sample at a tasting, but it was a nice rich dram. Definitely not smokey, there was a hint of peat in there, but not predominately. Taste: figs, toffee, cinnamon and someone hinted me that it reminded him of a christmas pudding (I woldn't know, never had one). It was a nice malt, but I wouldn't pay the steep price for it, unless you're a Bowmore fan

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

I am wondering about this too.

It is bottled at cask strength but does carry a hefty price tag as compared to the Darkest.

I think based on the feedback, I'll give this a miss for now.

10 years ago 0

@vanPelt
vanPelt replied

Thanks @Pandemonium , That sounds quite different from what I expected! I thought it might be like a less-smoky Laimrig. Anyway, I've got a Laimrig hopefully shipping in soon-- of course at a much better price point than the Springtide.

10 years ago 0

Rigmorole replied

Just picked up a 17 YO G&M Bowmore. Can't wait to try it. Have not tried the springtide. Interesting. The "Darkest" has too much E150a in it for my taste. I always try to buy the Bowmores without fake junk in them. The E150a only slows down the stallion in every bottle. The time has come to stop putting that stuff in fine whisky. The public has become educated enough to know better and the distillers must really wince and whine at having to pander to public stupidity in thinking that a darker whisky is worth buying more or that a little cloudiness in a whisky with water added "spoils" it.

10 years ago 0

@JoeVelo
JoeVelo replied

I don't know about this special Bowmore. But, looking at the reviews, I am looking for Devils Cask and 100 Proof.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

@JoeVelo

Yeah, I am eyeing the 100 degrees proof too.

10 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in