Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Glenmorangie Private Edition 2014

0 19

stakenblocken started a discussion

Does anyone know if Glenmorangie will be releasing a private edition in the coming year? I've seen a Companta mentioned elsewhere on the internet but not with any reliable sourcing. It's said that it will be finished in Cotes du Rhone casks. Just curious as I've really liked some of these offerings and they've been unique.

10 years ago

19 replies

Anxyous replied

I'd love to see a whisky from Côtes du Rhône - let's hope it's true!

They do have their Taghta coming out (from Manzanilla casks as part of the Cask Masters marketing thingy), but I don't think they consider it a Private Edition.

It'll be interesting to see what the year brings...

10 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

Might take some time before the Taghta comes out, the last stage of their crowdsourcing/promotion campaign starts in March and will most likely take some 2 to 3 months like the previous stages of the caskmasters competition. So thy will probably release it in the fall of 2014. I must say that I really liked the caskmaster promotion campaign, a nice way to get the public involved (or give them the impression that they got involved)

10 years ago 0

@JoeVelo
JoeVelo replied

I don't know, I'm still looking to find the Ealanta. I bought the 3 previous editions to keep, but the price is getting higher at each edition. Will it stop rising? I bought Sonnalta PX in Miami for 90$, Finealta for 75$ duty free and Artein 90$?. I have seen the Ealanta at 135$. What will it be next?

10 years ago 0

@two_bitcowboy

Seems it will be Glenmorangie Companta Private Edition.

“The Companta is a rare limited edition matured in American oak casks, then extra matured in a selection of casks having previously contained the famously full-bodied Grand Cru wine from the Clos de Tart vineyard and a subtle fortified wine from the Cotes du Rhone.” – per the bottle label

10 years ago 2Who liked this?

@sengjc
sengjc replied

@two-bit-cowboy

Tried it yet?

10 years ago 0

@cowfish
cowfish replied

I've tried it - I'll have my notes up on blog.thewhiskyexchange.com later this week when the bottles arrive. Here's a bit about it from someone else who was at the launch last week: whiskyforeveryone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/…

10 years ago 0

@cowfish
cowfish replied

(Missed a bit - I thought it was pretty good, even though I don't normally like red wine matured whiskies)

10 years ago 0

@two_bitcowboy

@sengjc No, I haven't. I've found pricing for our area though: $115. That's probably high compared to the large metro areas. I liked the purity of the full 19 year maturation in virgin oak for Ealanta. Seems they've taken a step back by returning to NAS and a finish. Just me....

10 years ago 1Who liked this?

@vanPelt
vanPelt replied

Considering the type of finish as well as the descriptions in reviews starting to appear, I'd like to see the Companta reviewed against the Glenmorangie Artein. The Artein-- which SHAMEFULLY is not categorized on this website-- had 6 reviews here and an average score of 91.5. @cowfish Will we see your reviews here, too?

10 years ago 0

Anxyous replied

@vanPelt

I'm a big fan of wine-finished whiskies; I might put up a review of the Artein.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

@two-bit-cowboy

I too like the Ealanta. Perhaps when this lands at my local bottleshop, I may be able to get a taste before deciding if I would like to shell out the money to get a bottle...or more.

10 years ago 0

@cowfish
cowfish replied

The Companta looks to have almost sold out in the UK already, although there may be another batch of stock still to come. If you want a bottle I'd jump on it quickly rather than waiting.

That said, outside of the UK the Private Editions seem to generally sell through slower, so you might have a bit more luck further from the whisky's origin.

10 years ago 0

@vanPelt
vanPelt replied

No reviews on Connosr yet... Has anyone else had a chance to try this? I took a first sip this weekend but it will be a while before I write it up. In short, it's of course good but did not seem much like the fruity cherry cordial I expected, but rather much more about the spice. So I think the biggest fans of Companta will appreciate (beyond the balance) the black pepper and raw bark impressions, which keep the palate searching and guessing. Any other opinions out there?

10 years ago 0

@Victor
Victor replied

@vanPelt, I picked up a couple of bottles of Companta for my sister a couple of weeks ago. I have a large sample and will review it in the next week or two. What impresses me most about Companta is how DRY it is. It's very nice whisky, but I don't consider it "must have" my own bottle of it.

10 years ago 0

@vanPelt
vanPelt replied

That was also my first impression: a dry and bolder version the Macallan Ruby, and not as 'necessary' as I'd expected. Let's see how this dryness will develop....

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

Yet to be released here in Australia - probably in the next couple of weeks or so.

Can hardly wait to try some to decide if I would like to get multiple bottles or otherwise.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

Just released in AUS and already selling out on allocation. Also managed to sample a small dram - it's quite spicy and a little bitterish from the tannins but otherwise a flavoursome drink.

It is different to the Ealanta so it is hard to draw comparisons. However, I find that I still enjoy the Ealanta more.

10 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in