Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

New Distilleries

4 30

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium started a discussion

There has been quite a buzz in the news lately, plans for new distilleries all over Scotland. Just this week plans were announced for a new distillery on the Isle of Skye. But if I learned something these last years, you should always take these stories with a truckload of salt: most plans never materialize, subsidies are squandered on unrealistic projects and people are conned out of their money. So I tried to make a list of the new distilleries, that were announced/built since Kilchoman opened its doors in 2005. Only a few of these projects have been realized, but in the 2013-2014 period almost every month a new project was being announced.

Feel free to complete the list if you believe I forgot something or correct me if I'm wrong.

??? (name unknown) Announced in 2013, to be built in Unst spirits.drinks-business-review.com/news/…

??? (name unknown): micro-distillery Announced in 2013, to be built in Glenrothes bbc.co.uk/news/…

??? (name unknown): large-medium distillery Announced in 2014, to be built in Jedburgh bbc.co.uk/news/…

??? (name unknown): micro-distillery Announced in 2014, to be built in Walkerburn bbc.co.uk/news/…

??? (name unknown): large distillery Announced in 2013 to be built in Teannich diageo.com/en-ie/investor/…

Abhain Dearg: micro-distillery Operational since 2009? Available on the market www.abhainndearg.co.uk

Ailsa Bay: large distillery Operational since 2007 Unavailable as a single malt whiskiesofscotland.com/distillery/…

Annandale: medium sized distillery? Reopening silent distillery, start production scheduled for April 2014? www.annandaledistillery.co.uk

Anniston farm: micro-distillery Announced 2013, received government grant heraldscotland.com/business/…

Ardnamurchan (Adelphi distillery): medium sized distillery? Will probably open its doors in 2014 www.adelphidistillery.com

Ballindalloch: micro-distillery Announced in 2013, received grant from government (no site? scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/…)

Barra: micro-distillery First stages of construction www.uisgebeathananeilean.co.uk/home.html

Blackwood: Announced in 2002, cancelled in 2008, project is dead shetnews.co.uk/news/…

Daftmill: micro-distillery Production started in 2005 Not yet available today www.daftmill.com

Drimnin: micro-distillery Announced in 2013 urbanrealm.com/news/4431/…

Falkrik Distillery: medium distillery Not much info available, works started? falkirkdistillery.com/news.php

Gartbreck: micro-distillery Announced in 2013, permission given in 2014 blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/…

Huntly: Project presumed dead? scotlandwhisky.com/news-and-events/…

Imperial (Glencarron?): large distillery Replacing the old closed Imperial distillery, old buildings demolished in 2013 chivasbrothers.com/newsroom/news-area/…

Isle of Harris: micro-distillery Announced in 2012 www.harrisdistillery.com

Kingsbarns: micro-distillery Still under construction, scheduled for November 30th 2014 www.kingsbarnsdistillery.com

Ladybank: micro-distillery Announced in 2003, project presumed dead, sinkhole for investors theguardian.com/money/2009/…

Lindores: micro-distillery Plans announced in 2013 www.thelindoresdistillery.com

Loch Ewe: micro-distillery Started production in 2006 Unavailable on the market, output too small www.lochewedistillery.co.uk

Longship: micro-distillery Announced in 2013 longship.se

Mellerstain distillery: Announced 2006, presumed dead whisky.scotsman.com/viewnews.aspx

Octomore: micro-distillery Project mothballed ? Currently produced at the Bruichladdich distillery www.bruichladdich.com

Old Perth?: micro-distillery Announced in 2013 whiskyintelligence.com/2013/11/…

Port Charlotte: medium distillery Project mothballed Currently produced at the Bruichladdich distillery www.bruichladdich.com

Portvadie: micro-distillery Announced in 2012 portavadiedistillery.co.uk/the-distillery.p…

River Clyde: large distillery Announced in 2013 news.stv.tv/west-central/…

Rosebank (Camelon): micro-distillery Reopen silent-distillery, announced in 2013, but failed to secure financing bbc.co.uk/news/…

Roseisle (Glen Mordor): large distillery Production started in 2010 Unavailable on the market (will eventually) diageo.com/en-row/ourbrands/…

Strathearn: micro-distillery Production started in 2014 strathearndistillery.com//…

Torabhaig: micro-distillery Announced in 2005, again in 2013/14 bbc.co.uk/news/…

Wolfburn: micro-distillery Production started in 2013 www.wolfburn.com

10 years ago

30 replies

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

For the distilleries currently in production, I’m looking forward to getting a taste from the Wolfburn and Daftmill distilleries (Roseisle also, but too proud to admit it).

As for the others, both the Annandale and Ardnamurchan distilleries are amazing project, don't care too much about the others

10 years ago 0

@systemdown
systemdown replied

Fantastic list, thanks!

10 years ago 0

Rigmorole replied

I'm really quite excited about Kilkerran. It might very well morph into a vintage Brora-esque style of whisky. It's already getting fairly close.

10 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

Glen Gyle was not included in this list as it already started its production in 2004, but yes, I haven't tried Glen Scotia yet but thus far no Campbeltown has dissapointed me so far

started a new blog with a list of these distilleries, a bit more visually clarifying this way maltsofpandemonium.blogspot.be

10 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

Did anyone pick up any news on the Annandale distillery? It was supposed to start its production this month. Or news from the Ardnamurchan distillery, they unloaded some casks and had their first load of barley delivered, but no mentions of actual distillation on the site yet.

10 years ago 0

@sengjc
sengjc replied

Nearly all the Australian distilleries are new(ish). :D

10 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

It seems my question answered itself. Looks like some delays, new date set for this summer. bbc.com/news/…

I'll be spending a week or two in York in July, maybe I'll take a peek over the border

10 years ago 0

@tjb
tjb replied

@Pandemonium Great topic. There do seem to be loads on new distilleries popping up all over the place. In England there are a few more planned that I know of. The closest to me are Dartmoor Distillery and Cotswolds Distillery. I am the most excited about the one in the Cotswolds as it is closer. I had a chat with the owner and did a quick post on it here bit.ly/1irBvkQ I've been invited up to have a look around once they go into production this Autumn.

The Darmoor Distillery are planning on doing a Whisky Academy where you stay on site and work there on different aspects of the production process. It sounds like fun.

With prices soaring I can see more and more being announced over the next few years.

10 years ago 0

@Oberon
Oberon replied

Just a bit northwest of Scotland: Eimverk Distillery. In Iceland. I had the privilege to tour their operation in April 2014. Should be a piece about it on the Whisky Advocate website soon.

www.flokiwhisky.is

10 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

update on the Longship distillery, they are looking for investors for their new distillery on Orkney. The odd thing is that they are indeed planning to ship the equipment from their Swedish Gryhyttan distillery to Orkney, but they don't mention anything about the future of their Swedish distillery, only that their stoch their will remain in Sweden to mature. All the info on the new distillery is in here. longship.se/wp-content/uploads/…

PS: this not an attempt to get people to invest in this distillery, I myself will not. This post is purely informative and not an advertisement.

9 years ago 1Who liked this?

laura121 replied

@Uisgebetha

I know that Echlinville Distillery in Northern Ireland has started producing they have a fb page, unsure about the other two though

9 years ago 1Who liked this?

@softailman
softailman replied

Now the Box pioneer has ben released. 5000 bottles sold ot in on hour. they will release the second Bottling in november december it was given 80 by some well know whiskyconniserurs in sweden@softailman

9 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

Ardnamurchan distillery has started it's mashing process, exciting times. You can follow them here on FB: facebook.com/pages/Adelphi-Distillery-Ltd/… Really looking forward to this one, the people from Aldelphi finally behind the control panel of their own distillery.

9 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/… River Clyde distillery by AD Rattray has got its funding and approval now. Though I don't like the fact that their main goal seems to become a tourist attraction. They appeal to the tourists in Glasgow, not so much to the whisky crowd out there. It would be interesting to know what style of whisky that they will be making. What really interests me is if they will be making a traditional lowland style malt, triple distillation, ... They are well known and respected independent bottlers right now, so I don't doubt that they will make a good whisky, but I don't like the overly-commercial spin to it. They could have used that money to buy the olde Rosebank distilery that is currently for sale and in desperate need of restoration.

9 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

Ballindalloch started its production back in September: www.facebook.com/BallindallochDistillery And Annandale will fill its first cask later this week: www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/…

This year five new distilleries will have opened their doors: Ardnamurchan, Ballindalloch, Kingsbarns, Dalmunach and Annandale. The Falkirk and Harris distilleries are in progress of being build

9 years ago 0

@Fiberfar
Fiberfar replied

I think it will be interesting to see if Annandale do a spin on the Bruce legacy. Robert Bruce was the Lord of Annandale, after all.

9 years ago 0

@Pandemonium
Pandemonium replied

New distillery announced in Edinburgh (North Queensferry), although it seems they can't decide on what exactly will be their main activity and I don't think that secret method to make the whisky mature faster will float well with SWA.

thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/11/…

9 years ago 0

@casualtorture

I know this is an older discussion, but Ailsa Bay has released a single malt. Apparently it's gotten decent reviews. People compare it to Kilchoman's earthy peaty character.

My distant cousin David Kennedy is the Marquess of Ailsa so I'd like to try this one at least for that reason.

7 years ago 0

@Robert99
Robert99 replied

@casualtorture Those old discussion are kept to be reactivated. It is the first time I am hearing of Ailsa. I went on there site and that got me curious. Thank you to bring this new comer to our attention. Of course being owned by Grant's doesn't make it at exotic as an independent, but learning that they will try to have a style similar to Balvenie has certainly raised my attention.

7 years ago 1Who liked this?

@nooch
nooch replied

Last year's Malt Whisky Yearbook listed a ton of in development and new distilleries.
I'm interested in Ballindalloch and Dalmunach amongst the newbies.

7 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Victor
Victor replied

Ailsa Bay? So nobody has given any feedback yet on Ailsa Bay, despite the fact that it is HUGE in capacity and operating since 2007. Whisky Advocate in the Winter 2017 edition outlines the current eleven Scottish Lowlands Malt distilleries, and notes the production capacity of each one. According to the magazine's numbers Ailsa Bay has more capacity than the other ten lowland distilleries put together. This stuff will likely soon be ubiquitous like Glenmorangie Original. Of course I assume that William Grant will use much of its capacity for making blends, too.

@markjedi1, would you please give us some reviews of the products from this Lowland distillery, Ailsa Bay?

6 years ago 1Who liked this?

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

@Victor At this point, they only have one (!) release as far as I am aware - and it's not terribly good. It is also part of the Collectivum XXVIII blend that was put out by Diageo in last year's Special Release. Other than that, all is destined for blending purposes. I'll see what I can find.

6 years ago 0

Liked by:

@jeanlucn@paddockjudge@vanPelt

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in