Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Mortlach 70 year old, £9999

0 8

@Beelzebozo
Beelzebozo started a discussion

masterofmalt.com/whiskies/…

I can barely believe this exists, much less what sort of person might consider purchasing a bottle. I must admit I'm curious about how a 70 year old scotch would taste. I wonder if I could tell it apart from a 12 year old speyside in a blind test.

What do you think? If you had the cash to blow is there any way 70cL of malt could be worth as much as modest automobile? Connosr should add this to the database so we can all put it on our wishlists at least!

connosr.com/whisky/speyside/mortlach/

14 years ago

8 replies

@WhiskyNotes
WhiskyNotes replied

While I wouldn't buy such a whisky even if I had the money, I'm not surprised it exists and I'm not surprised they can sell them either. Thousands of people around the world buy million dollar houses, or private jets, or private islands... so there are probably enough people rich enough to buy these kind of drinks and show them off to friends.

The old malts I've tried so far (40 to 50 years old) are quite oaky and most of them are clearly over their peak moment. You need a very inactive cask if you want whisky to be drinkable after 70 years. But hey, these things are interesting simply because they exist.

14 years ago 1Who liked this?

@LeFrog
LeFrog replied

Yeah this is crazy expensive but these bottlings are just PR stunts. I suppose collectors would be interested too.

14 years ago 1Who liked this?

@Pierre
Pierre replied

@LeFrog You're right, its about getting press but also adding aspirational value to your brand.

Car manufacturers do it too. I heard a story about a well known German car company launching a sports car that wouldn't ever recoup the cost of development and advertising even if they sold every single one they had built. They did it to enhance brand profile and boost sales of less exotic models.

I think the same must happen with whisky, it doesn't matter whether they sell any of these because many people will now forever associate Mortlach with super rare whisky.

14 years ago 3Who liked this?

@mitch
mitch replied

Mark from Whiskycast podcast sampled this an episode back. While I never expect to have the opportunity myself, I'm curious about the folks who can afford this and what their drinking habits are. My bottle of Highland Park 30 may call out to me on a Wednesday night, but I personally won't open it unless I was able to share it with someone else who would appreciate it. To me that was a luxorious purchase, but all things are relative I suppose.

13 years ago 0

@MFish85
MFish85 replied

I find these really old bottles interesting, I suppose if I had money to burn I would think about it, but maybe as a collectible rather than drinking it.

13 years ago 0

@scribe
scribe replied

I suspect you could tell it apart, but I suspect you couldn't tell it £9970 apart ;)

Colin at Diageo recommends swilling whisky in your mouth for as many seconds as its had years in the cask. This one would take forever to sample...

13 years ago 0

@Fawny
Fawny replied

I saw a bottle of Springbank (not sure how old) for £14k in Cadenheads in Edinburgh. I would be scared to open a bottle like that in case I was too disappointed by it (not that i will ever be able to afford one anyway) You can get excellent whisky for £25, superb whisky for £50, up to you how high you and your pocket are able to go. I was asked to recommend a bottle for £100 as a special gift for someone and I said as a whisky drinker I would say get THREE good bottles for a total spend of £100!

13 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in