What is Connosr Distilled?

Well, we're glad you asked. Connosr Distilled is a free online whisky magazine, bringing you features, articles, community views, interviews, videos and more; it's part of www.connosr.com the social network for whisky enthusiasts.

Welcome to the first edition of the World Whisky Review, a new bi-monthly online magazine written by me and designed and hosted by whisky social networking site Connosr.

World Whisky Review is a magazine dedicated entirely to the people, whiskies and distilleries from countries outside the traditional whisky producing nations of Scotland, Ireland, the United States and Canada.

in world whisky great things are starting to happen

Across the world in Australia, Africa, Asia, Europe, Africa and South America great things are starting to happen with whisky and it's about time there was a proper platform to bring it altogether.

Many of the distilleries I hope to feature in the coming months are tiny, many of them aren't bottling yet, and some of them are merely serving a local demand for their whisky. But they all add up to a vibrant underbelly to the world of whisky and they have great stories to tell. A few, of course, are already making world class malts and picking up awards.

This magazine is a labour of love and stems from the extensive work I've done first as Editor of Whisky Magazine and then as a freelance whisky writer. I've visited many of these distilleries, spoken extensively to the whisky makers and shared their passion for whisky. In my capacity covering world whiskies for Whisky Advocate I believe I'm in a great position to cover their world.

Bitter experience tells me that if you start championing world whisky some people from the traditional regions take it you're criticising what they do. So let me make it very clear from the outset, this is not the case at all. Nobody disputes that the vast majority of the world's greatest whisky - 95 per cent plus - comes from the great whisky regions. But this is about digging out the golden nuggets that come from elsewhere. I think they have a lot to offer the whisky enthusiast and they enrich our world.

A quick comment about the term 'new world whisky'. I use it to describe any whisky from outside the traditional territories and the term should not be defined in the same was as wine. Yes I know, some of the so called 'new world' countries have been making whisky a long time. But Australia has a wine making tradition stretching back a century and yet we say it makes new world wine. So, too, with whisky. It’s just a term to separate emerging whisky nations from those that have traditionally been associated with whisky.

This first issue of World Whisky Review is just a starting point and there isn't as much here as I'd have liked from non English speaking countries but that'll change, and already I'm lining up profiles and interviews with distillers across the world. There will be tasting notes and competitions to win whisky.

One other thing: I've cheated a little. Although I'm excluding the big five, I've added an 'Elsewhere' section where the very knowledgeable Jason Pyle will be bringing us news from the American micro distilling industry and where the odd story from the independent sector in the traditional territories might creep in.

I hope you like it. Please let me know your thoughts and let your friends know it's here. Here's to a journey in to the deepest heart of world whisky.

Comments

MacinJosh wrote:

Wow, I didn't know Jason would be collaborating with you on this effort! Fantastic! Very excited to read this first issue guys!

03 November 2011 21:04

HP12 wrote:

Awesome resource. Thx for sharing WWR on Connosr!

03 November 2011 21:55

lucadanna1985 wrote:

that's just amazing! Wish you good luck guys, we will support you!

03 November 2011 22:23

Victor wrote:

Bon voyage, Dominic and World Whisky Review!

03 November 2011 22:31

markjedi1 wrote:

Wow, this is the good stuff. Thank you, Connosr and Dominic, from bringing this ezine to us at our fav whisky site. Stunning looks, too (I'm a sucker for that sort of thing)!

04 November 2011 06:29

Pudge72 wrote:

What they all said...Awesome, awesome, awesome!!

04 November 2011 14:35

RobertH wrote:

Awesome undertaking. Best wishes on a great success.

04 November 2011 15:27

whiskyfacile wrote:

very interesting project, guys! good luck and keep dramming...

04 November 2011 17:07

jdcook wrote:

Great first issue! Looking forward to future editions!

04 November 2011 21:37

sorren wrote:

Dominic, First class as usual, keep up the good work....

05 November 2011 21:02

hansoffringa wrote:

well done Sir! Keep up the good work and don't forget to visit NL ;-)

07 November 2011 10:19
GlannArMor

GlannArMor wrote:

A beautiful start for World Whisky Review. Great job Dominic, congratulation and my best wishes for the future of WWR !

14 November 2011 15:50

Dominic Roskrow

About the editor

Dominic Roskrow is the former Editor of Whisky Magazine and now his own freelance business. In addition to writing The World Whisky Review he edits Whiskeria for the Whisky Shop chain, runs the online W Club, and covers world whisky for The Whisky Advocate. He is a director of The Whisky Tasting Club and has written for titles including the Times, Daily Telegraph and Spectator in the UK and The Daily in america. His recent books include 1001 Whiskies To Try Before You Die and The Whisky Opus which was published in September 2012.

Also in this issue