GlenDronach Cask Strength Batch 4

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

My spirits consumption is at a low point but I decide that making an effort to reduce the number of samples I own which helps me get back into the swing of things, especially reviews, since I'm rather rusty there too.

A cask strength Sherry bomb showdown is a good way to get back into things and Glendronach Cask Strength doesn't need much in the way of introductions.The sample was graciously provided by @fiddich1980

Nose: A bit of coffee, marzipan. Sticky buns, apples, yeasty sherry notes, a touch of mineral oil and cassia bark (cinnamon oil) an almost putty like smell/plasticine?

Palate: Earthy, oranges, raisins/dates, Stollen, malted cereals. The oak is present but it's dry, like pencil shavings.

Finish: Chestnuts/celery, thanksgiving stuffing & cranberry sauce with oranges. A big wave of acidity at the end.

The Blab: I love how accessible this is, not too heavy or hot, the notes are very mid-register, loads of cereals, nuts, fruits and good balance, this grew on me by the second try.

Related GlenDronach reviews

3 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

@cricklewood - I can't remember the batch of the sample I had but I liked it enough to add it to my wishlist. Excellent review, thanks.

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

I haven't tried this one yet, but based on your review and a few others, I'm pretty sure I would prefer it over both A'Bunadh and Glenfarclas 105. This is another distillery not doing much wrong these days. Thanks for the helpful review.

@cricklewood
cricklewood commented

After reading @OdysseusUnbound review of batch 7, I have slight regrets about not picking one up especially since I twice found myself in a store holding a bottle and putting it back. I'm a little afraid of their newfound reliance on PX casks.

I like the versions of Glendronach that exhibit these slightly savoury elements to them. I have found that certain Glengoyne and Tomatin expressions were good substitutions, although different.

about one year ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here