Whyte and Mackay 30 Year Old

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

29th Sep 2012

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

According to Richard Paterson – aka The Nose – this premium blend contains whiskies from 30 to 36 years of age. Hence it is not cheap. I saw it recently in the UK for around £150. The colour reveals the use of sherry casks.

And so does the nose. Immediately I get warm, stewed fruits like plums, figs and raisins, even some rhubarb. Sweet sherry, caramel, but also a good helping of marzipan and hazelnuts. A little citrus in the background, mostly blood oranges. Very round and rich.

It is very oily on the palate. Not a trace of oak. Silky soft and sweet. It literally sticks to the teeth. I get the urge to smack my lips. Great fruity continuation of the already luscious nose. A touch of liquorice.

The finish is more of the same, although I do get hints of some toasted oak, making it slightly bitter, but perfectly within the borders of what is good.

Magnificent whisky, obviously containing a great many Speysiders. Put this in a line-up and it will score very high, as it does with me. Thanks, Glenn, for the sample.

Related Whyte and Mackay reviews

1 comments

@systemdown
systemdown commented

I've heard good things about Whyte & Mackay blends. From memory they are blended and married further in oak for a decent length of time (more than the "norm") to create smooth and very well integrated blends that punch above their weight. I'll be keeping this 30yo in mind. Cheers.

7 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here