Arran 10 Year Old

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

There is a slight initial hit (for me this hit lasts less than a half second) of seaweed, smoke and salt before the nose settles and becomes fruity (pear-like), with a vanilla sweetness, and the only part of the initial moment that remains is the salt. I keep sniffing again and again just to make sure that I'm not just imagining that first seaside hit - but it is there every time. Intriguing.

The taste is vanilla sweet with a slight salty smokiness - fruity, even slight notes of chocolate. Just enough spice to leave your mouth and lips tingling. Very warm, even hot - and quite smooth.

The finish is full of pears, vanilla sweetness, with the spice from the taste leaving your mouth tingling. Not terribly long, but charming.

I find the Arran to be a genuinely good everyday malt. It doesn't knock your socks off, but without having anything that stands out about it, it is a genuinely charming little dram. I can't put my finger on it, but I genuinely enjoy drinking it.

Personally, the Arran is what I drink when I don't know what I want, and am too tired or lazy to be bothered thinking about it. So, not sure what to drink? Can't be bothered figuring out what you want to drink? Then get a bottle of Arran 10 year old - problem solved. It's never let me down.

Related Arran reviews

27 comments

@markjedi1
markjedi1 commented

Sounds like another one for the wishlist, then. Great review, JD. Keep 'm coming!

jdcook commented

Yeah, I picked this one up as a recommendation from the gentleman working behind the counter in a whisky store in Melbourne when I wasn't sure what else to buy for my last bottle. He said, have you tried the Arran? I said no, and here we are.

@markjedi1
markjedi1 commented

Good man. This is how I like to discover my drams as well. Usually get them as a gift or pick them up on the spot. Last weekend, I visited the Whisky Exchange in London and brought back over 15 bottles, all on a whim.

jdcook commented

15 bottles!! I am green with envy! Looking forward to all the reviews... :)

@jeanluc
jeanluc commented

@markjedi1 - 15 bottles! That's a cabinet in it's own right. Good work.

@yossiyitzak
yossiyitzak commented

@markjedi1, my birthday is coming up next month...just incase you want to gift one of those bottles ;)

Great review and, I think these are priced to sell too. Adding it to my wish list - great review!!

jdcook commented

@yossiyitzak - Indeed, the pricing on the Arran was very decent.

kris2204 commented

Visited the distillery in Arran last Summer and picked myself up a couple of bottles of the 10yr old.

Following my return it was the only Whisky I drank for about 4 months! I love the stuff and can't wait to visit the distillery again this summer.

@LeFrog
LeFrog commented

Must try this.

jdcook commented

Yeah, it's definitely a fun one. Easy to drink, but with enough going on to keep you interested!

@almapercus
almapercus commented

A pleasant one, anytime!

jdcook commented

I poured myself another of these last night. The charm is still there!

Ferrari5180 commented

I picked myself up a bottle about three weeks ago and I must say that I am impressed by the overall value of this single malt. Looking forward to trying other expressions from Arran.

jdcook commented

@Ferrari5180 - it's definitely good value for money, and does speak well of the distillery.

@jwise
jwise commented

There are so many expressions in the Arran range that I always felt like any choice could be the wrong choice. I just gave up on the brand, hoping one day I'd find an "Arran Sample Pack" of the various core expressions. Just the other day I found an expression from Arran that seemed like a sure winner - 11yr Sherry Single Cask bottled at cask strength! Oh yeah...

jdcook commented

@jwise - the thing about the Arran line-up, you won't be disappointed by too many of them, so nearly every choice is a winner!

@andrewMSK
andrewMSK commented

Hello, JD! I like your reviews, keep it up! I once was going to buy a bottle of Arran 10, but seller in shop said than Arran is very harsh and "particular" (in a bad sense of the word). Thanks to your review I've changed my mind. Going to try this malt. And price is very pleasant. Sorry for my english. Cheers!

jdcook commented

@andrewMSK - glad you appreciate my thoughts! The Arran is pretty gentle - ti did have that slightly odd note initially on the nose, but I found it to be very easy to drink indeed.

...and you're english is fine. I work in a school, and trust me, you're english is brilliant!

@rharlow
rharlow commented

Not a big fan. Lacked any complexity and therefore lacked my interest. Also, it always gave me a headache.

jdcook commented

@rharlow - it is a bit of a subtle one. And if it disagrees with your body chemistry enough to give you a headache, it's certainly not for you. Plenty of other drams in the sea!

vanPelt commented

I smiled at that assessment-- "Arran, the no-thinking dram." Probably some truth to that! Thanks for the review, I have just sampled it and will compare it to their Original.

jdcook commented

@vanPelt - that actually hits the nail on the head, but comes across a bit negatively, so I went with 'Genuinely Charming Dram' instead.. ;)

@Victor
Victor commented

@vanPelt, you have succeeded in luring jd back to posting on Connosr. Good work!

@jdcook, what's cooking in Tasmania? I hear that they are making more and more whisky down there...I am guessing that you have been drinking some of it.

As for Arran 10, I would walk right by that one in favour of a bottle of Arran 14...or the Arran Sauternes Finish, or a GOOD BATCH of the Arran Amarone Finish.

jdcook commented

@Victor - Tasmania is indeed going ahead in the production of whisky! Still a bit expensive with all the taxes imposed.

The 14 and the Sauternes are excellent indeed - haven't sampled any of the Amarone finish, but I keep coming back to the 10 year old, it's one of those handful of whiskies I'm happy to drink after a day of troubleshooting seemingly intractable problems where I do not want to engage my brain and do not really want to make a choice (and don't want to waste my good stuff on a crappy mood). Hasn't let me down yet.

vanPelt commented

I agree with both assessments: the 14 might seem overall better for intrigue or big flavor, but the 10 can better suit the occasion (or lack thereof). @Victor For what it's worth my last review was for Tasmania's Sullivan Cove French Oak, which is excellent. I'm jealous if this is what flows through the streets down under.

jdcook commented

@vanPelt - The French Oak is quite good, the double cask is better! The first time I had it I had gone to a tasting and accidentally chosen a seat next to the chief distiller of Sullivans Cove. My review is below:

connosr.com/reviews/sullivans-cove/…

vanPelt commented

Let me continue the thread over there then...

5 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here