Whisky Connosr

Glen Ord 21 Year Old 1990 Liquid Sun

Candy

083

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

1st Apr 2014

0

Glen Ord 21 Year Old 1990 Liquid Sun
  • Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
    ~
  • Balance
    ~
  • Overall
    83

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Glen Ord was founded in 1838 and built on a site that previously held a beer house and mill (since 1549). Only in 1966 extra stills were installed, totaling six, and warmed by steam. Since 1985 the distillery is in the hands of Diageo. Around 80% is markted as a single malt, the remaining 20% goes into blends like Johnnie Walker, Dewar’s and the like – or is being bottled by independent bottlers like this 21 Year Old from 1990 by Liquid Sun.

Nice, fresh and fruity nose. Peaches and mandarin from a tin, onripe strawberries and even some litchi. Pineapple too. Reminds me a bit of marshmallows. A bit of oak, that is quite nice. Slowly but surely, it is becoming as sweet as candy.

Soft arrival, but spicy nonetheless. The fruit returns, but now it is very sweet, almost artificial. That makes me associate the palate with candy as well. It does have a nice grain, if you know what I mean.

The long finish reminds me a bit of cherry liqueur.

A bit too sweet and too much like candy to be outstanding, but far from bad. Liquid Sun has only bottled Glen Ord twice. The other cask is a 15 Year Old from 1997 and is rumored to be better.

Related Glen Ord reviews

0 comments