Little Book Chapter 2: Noe Simple Task

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: user

• Brand: Little Book
  • ABV: 59.4%

This is a review of a mystery sample provided by @Nozinan The sample was bottled Feb 1, 2019

Tasting notes neat from a Highland Whisky Glass

• Nose: shy and muted at first, ethanol, wood varnish, some orange zest, toffee, maybe a little pepper, rye spice coming through, sawdust, a bit of caraway, something a bit "farmy" (I usually call it "wet hay")
  • Palate: soft and sweet on first arrival, becoming big and bold, definitely some rye spice, toffee, black pepper, cinnamon
  • Finish: long, spicy, cloves, black tea, a bit of caramel, fresh cut oak¸ some peppermint
  • Rating: 88/100
  • First guess: Lot 40 Cask Strength 11 year or 12 Year.

With Water

• Nose: white glue comes out first, but thankfully dissipates quickly, toffee follows, then caraway seeds, orange zest, fresh oak, and a hint of burnt sugar. The nose is still pretty shy.
  • Palate: some barrel char, oak, black pepper, black tea that's been steeped a bit too long
  • Finish: long, a bit sweeter than when taken neat, brown sugar, cloves, a hint of cardamom or something "green"
  • Rating: 87/100

My ability to accurately identify blind samples continues to suck. It turns out that this was Little Book Chapter 2: Noe Simple Task. It is bottled at 59.4 % abv, so at least I wasn't off on the high proof. According to the internet, this is a proprietary blend of three whiskies - 8 year Kentucky straight rye at 59.9% abv, 13 year Canadian rye at 55.95% abv, and 40 year Canadian 100% corn whisky at 68.9% abv.

• Would I accept a glass if it were offered? Absolutely. The rye is present enough to make this interesting and enjoyable.
  • Would I order this in a bar or pub? Perhaps. Drinks are expensive at these types of establishments and this one is potent enough that I wouldn't guzzle it.
  • Would I purchase a bottle? Unlikely. I'm not sure what the price on this was when it was available in Ontario, but Chapter 3 is currently selling for $165. That's above my comfort zone, unless the whiskey is exceptional. To me this one is good, but not great. The nose is pleasant but a little too shy and muted to me.

3 comments

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

Great review! I've yet to sit down and really explore this. The few times I've poured it I've enjoyed it but not as excitedly as some of my colleagues. Someone I know has drained his third bottle... mine is over half full.

Full disclosure, When I picked this up in late 2018 I paid $100.90 for it at Zyn. I would not have purchased it for $165.

6 days ago 2Who liked this?

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

@Nozinan at $100, I’d consider it but I’m not sure if I’ve ever paid $165 for any whisky.

6 days ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here