Macallan 12 Year Old Sherry Oak

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

I owned a bottle of this while in China, and remember it being decent. A local store has it for $54usd+tax and I was willing to pay that for the same experience. I then realized that in the US, this is bottled at 43% abv, while the bottling in Asia is at 40% abv. I was then definitely willing! So I'm going to review this and then compare my notes and what I remember from my other bottle.

Bottle is 90% full and opened about a week.

Nose: Nutty and chocolatey. Hazelnuts covered in chocolate. Dark fruit (plums, black grapes), cocoa nibs, and brown sugar. It smells like ferrer rocher tastes!

Palate: More fruits and less nuts than the nose. Raspberry, blackberry, plums, dark grapes and baked gooey cherries, all surrounded by a layer of milk chocolate. Good strength of flavors for a low proof Speysider.

Finish: Brown sugar, baked cherries and hazelnuts linger for a short/medium length finish.

Overall: The biggest difference to me between this 43% version versus the 40% version are strength of flavors on the palate, which is what the 40% lacked. This is a very good product and a very good whisky, not just a name.

Related Macallan reviews

6 comments

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

Agreed. The 43% version is a noticeably different, and much better, animal. I've noticed the same with the Glenmo 10 Original and the Balvenie 12 Doublewood. In both instances the 43% versions I bought in Mexico and the US are dramatically better than the 40% versions we get in Canada.

about one year ago 4Who liked this?

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

I’d really like to try this one. I’ve been underwhelmed by most Macallans I’ve tried. And the ones I’ve liked have been priced well beyond what I would personally pay for them. This one, especially at 43%, seems to hit the mark more often than not and seems to be priced reasonably in the States. Sadly, Ontario only gets the 12 Year Old Sulphur Cask, er I mean Double Cask, and its price point is a laughable $98.

about one year ago 3Who liked this?

@Victor
Victor commented

My how things change in the whisky world! In 2010 Macallan 12 Sherry Oak seemed to be just about the most plain-jane, boring, ho-hum, same-old-same-old whisky out there. Now it is recognised by some, including me, as a pillar of quality and value...when purchased at the place where one can get the right price and ABV, that is.

I've put into my stock 4 or 5 bottles of these 43% ABV Macallan 12 Sherry Oaks from the now disappearing batch which I know well and trust greatly, because this is the quality I want available to me in the future.

about one year ago 5Who liked this?

@RianC
RianC commented

@casualtorture - Thanks for a great review! It's funny, it's the 40% and relative high prices that put me off buying Macallan. Such a shame we have it, and so many other malts, at the lower end of the abv scale.

Glad your enjoying this one, it sounds delicious.

about one year ago 1Who liked this?

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@OdysseusUnbound I can ensure that you taste a Macallan 12 next time I see you.

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

@casualtorture
casualtorture commented

@BlueNote I've owned a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 at 40%. It was OK but didn't blow my socks off. As with this Mac, it is bottled at 43% in the US. I'll have to get a bottle and do a comparison.

about one year ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here