Auchentoshan American Oak

nReview by @nicko

10th Jul 2017

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

This very easy-going single malt from Auchentoshan is aged solely in American Bourbon casks.

I've been drinking this one for a little over two years now and though I enjoy it as a knock off, it certainly won't knock ones socks off. It is a little too inconspicuous in the single malt landscape, lacking the complexity that raises and even the affordable scotches into the memory.

Nose- Light caramel notes, mild toasty quality. Palate- Delicate vanilla and caramel. These tones are a particular highlight for me. They also constitute the main character of the scotch. Finish- Light sweetness, biscuit, caramel.

My only disappointment with this is the lack of complexity. But this is also what makes it my go-to at the end of the night.

Related Auchentoshan reviews

12 comments

@jeanluc
jeanluc commented

Nice notes @nicko, thanks for posting!

MadSingleMalt commented

"though I enjoy it as a knock off, it certainly won't knock ones socks off"—nice turn of phrase!

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@nicko In all my years of drinking Scotch whisky, I have never tasted Auchentoshan, mostly because of typically luke warm reviews such as this. I'm sure there are some very good ones, but they are probably old and expensive. I don't recall anyone gushing over any of their core range offerings. Cheers.

MadSingleMalt commented

@BlueNote , same here, except I did taste one once at a scotch sampling event. I was unimpressed. Though to be fair, it was probably one of their more basic whiskies.

I think the person you need here if you want to hear some potential gushing is @markjedi1. :)

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@MadSingleMalt. Indeed. The "Toshan Man" needs to check in here. I like your new handle. I know Mad is for Madison, but aren't we all a little mad here? Cheers

MadSingleMalt commented

@BlueNote , thanks. If we were doing license plates instead of online screen names, maybe I'd lay claim to MAD 4 SMS. (But wait—then I'd have to give up POGUES!)

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

@MadSingleMalt I've only ever had the standard 12 and was incredibly unimpressed. All the reviews for the American Oak and the Three Wood seem to be just as lukewarm. I find Auchentoshan to be the Brendan Fraser of scotches. Bland and unremarkable. Not bad, just easily forgettable. Perhaps their eleventy billion dollar bottles are worthwhile, but I'll never know.

@GoodVintage
GoodVintage commented

i'm a bit 'meh' about Auchentoshan but I prefer the American Oak the to others I've tasted

@Victor
Victor commented

@nicko, don't forget that if you order your drink "straight up" you will get it poured over ice and strained.

@Robert99
Robert99 commented

@OdysseusUnbound I thought a Brendan Fraser of whisky was a sympathic flashy and nutty whisky, a bit simple and, at the same time, a bit thick even if lacking substance. Well, my mistake.

@Frost
Frost commented

This one has replaced "Classic" here in Australia, which has a similar write up for ex-Bourbon casks. Any information on what the difference is between the two?

about one year ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here