Connemara Peated

@NozinanReview by @Nozinan

18th Sep 2019

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

In July of this year I was in Calgary for a couple of days. We didn’t really have time to do too much shopping, but we did look around a little, and came upon a store with a number of minis and a discount if you buy three. I had a mini of this one but it was part of a set that was given to me by a colleague, and so because I’ve been wanting to try this for a while (and even more, I would like to try the CS version), I picked it as one of the three.

This expression is reviewed in both the Tuath Irish Whiskey Glass and, because I’ve concerns the nose may be muted in this glass, the Brilliant Highland Whisky Glass in my usual manner, allowing it to settle after which I take my nosing and tasting notes, followed by the addition of a few drops of water, waiting, then nosing and tasting. I don’t usually add water to whiskies at 40%, but I did it for “educational purposes”.

Nose: 22.5/25

In the Irish whisky glass, soft sweet fruity nose with a hint of peat. Definitely apple, some light syrup. A hint of vanilla and baking spices. Beautiful, clean nose. The nose seems even richer in the Highland glass. Water does not seem to change things in either glass.

Taste: 21.5/25 Sweet, peat forward. A little apple. Vanilla. A little thin on the mouth feel but quite pleasant. More bitter in the Highland glass (would actually bring the score down 2-3 points). Water seems to thin out the flavour a bit. It tones down the peat a little and enhances the pepperiness. Still good. (20.5/25)

Finish: 21/25

Short. Slightly peppery. Unremarkable.

Balance: 22/25

Nicely balanced, between nose and palate, sweetness and peat with the right hint of black pepper.

Score: Neat - 87/100 With Water: 86/100

More experimentation is needed, but I’m beginning to think that as cool as it looks, the Tuath whisky glass just doesn’t provide a good nose.

I’m pretty surprised. 40%. 87/100. This is not a score I usually give to an NAS, low ABV whisky. Since making my tasting notes I’ve checked Connosr and it seems like my score is higher than most, or all, but also I note there seems to be a lot of batch variation.

Definitely a pleasant surprise!

I would LOVE to try this at Cask Strength.

Related Connemara reviews

7 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

@Nozinan - Thanks for the review! I was gifted a bottle of this a while back but had thought to perhaps gift it on as reviews weren't great. You may have convinced me to give it a go though.

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

I'd really like to try this one. I've been loving my Irish whiskies lately...well, before I embarked on my Sober September journey. This whiskey sounds interesting.

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@OdysseusUnbound I can seal up the mini and hold it for you. I like seeing reviews from the same bottle that I taste.

28 days ago 1Who liked this?

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

@Nozinan I appreciate the offer, but I’m sure I can find a bottle sooner or later. I have a few people on it.

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

Too late, the mini is gassed.

And labelled.

28 days ago 1Who liked this?

@Victor
Victor commented

@RianC @OdysseusUnbound Connemara Peated is OK, but Connemara Peated Cask Strength is the one you want to buy.

28 days ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here