Eagle Rare 10 Year Old

@casualtortureReview by @casualtorture

10th May 2018

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

This is part 2 of my kind of H2H between Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 10yo. Now, don't get me wrong, I have higher expectations for this. The only reason I'm having both tonight is because they are both BT mash bill #1, which is a low rye mash bill (10% rye?). Neat pour.

Nose: Quite Oaky, reese's peanut butter cups, brown sugar. This and KCSB are now the two most oak forward noses I've had grace my nostrils.

Palate: Pretty standard bourbon. Caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, dark cherry, chocolate, oaky. Fairly rich. Some dark fruits as well. Figs, blackberry, raisins maybe?

Finish: Oaky finish of medium length.

Overall: Above average bourbon at a decent price ($34.99+tax). Good, not great. Better than standard Buffalo Trace. It's much richer and full bodied with a bit more complexity. However, at similar price, I prefer Elijah Craig small batch over this, but not by much.

Related Eagle Rare reviews

1 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

@casualtorture - Thanks for the review! I really liked this one. Think I scored it 91 which seems a tad high compared to your mark but out of the 15 or so bourbons I've tried this was definitely the most enjoyable. It was one of those that didn't do a lot initially but then came alive as you 'chewed' . . .

11 days ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here