Laphroaig Cairdeas Feis Ile 2015

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

6th Jan 2018

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Thanks to my good friend Chris Lauriers – whisky ambassador for Belgium – I have the opportunity to try no less than 10 – ten! – Feis Ile bottlings from Laphroaig in a row from 2007 until 2016. This is going to be a trip to remember.

This is the 2015 release, bottled to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the distillery. According to the PR blurb, this 11 year old Laffie should be very similar to that of 200 years ago.

The nose starts rather sweet, with a lot of vanilla and citrus. Limestone. After a few moments, the peat takes the reigns and it develops nice notes of smoke and a sea breeze.

Despite the high ABV it is quite soft and pleasant on the palate. Peat and spices come first. Think pepper, nutmeg and a single chili. Lapsang Souchong tea!

The long finish is its best quality: long, warm, spicy on peat with some oaky notes.

Wonderful Laffie, no two ways about it.

Related Laphroaig reviews

7 comments

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

This is the only Caideas I've had and I really enjoyed it. They seem to vary considerably from year to year. Thanks for taking on the herculean task of reviewing ten of them @markjedi1

@paddockjudge
paddockjudge commented

@BlueNote _ I enjoyed this one too. It is fruitier than any other Laffy I have tired and was my favourite Laphroaig until I tried the standard 18 YO.

@cricklewood
cricklewood commented

@paddockjudge, I really enjoyed this style of Laphroaig, I wish this was something they regularly produced, at 11 years it has a lot of complexity. I preferred it to the 15, sadly I have never tried the 18 but have only heard great things about it.

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@cricklewood I can vouch for the 18. I was lucky enough to try it in August. Not in a setting where I could do a review, but in an even better setting of a wedding. It was almost as fantastic as the wedding.

@cricklewood
cricklewood commented

@Nozinan, ah yes sometimes the context enhances the experience as well, it's not always about our controlled settings. I also heard the stories of a certain someone who was trading folks their tickets in order to get an extra taste of the Laffie 18. laughing

11 days ago 1Who liked this?

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@cricklewood For the record, I know of that certain someone too and it wasn't me...

10 days ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here