Whisky Connosr
Shop Join

Macallan Rare Cask

Fifty Casks

1 086

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

9th Mar 2019


  • Nose
  • Taste
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

At Macallan they describe the Rare Cask as legendary. The Malt Master only selects the very best casks fort his vatting and in their own words only 1% of all that lies in their warehouses is good enough for it. I’m not sure that is such a good marketing strategy as it sounds as if the other 99% is rubbish. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. Fans aplenty, though, because after the Red and Black editions, there is now a series or Rare Cask being released, albeit with a batch number. The third one was just released when I wrote this, but I will try batch 1. Every new batch is vatted from only fifty casks.

Good nose! Pleasantly dark & sweet on blood oranges, raisins, honey, dark chocolate with banana filling, roasted chestnut, red fruit and swoodsmoke. Very rich.

Despite the light body, the arrival is nice on bittersweet oranges, raisins and honey. The spices remind me of nutmeg and ginger, but there is also a bitterness in the guise of walnuts and grape pith. Chewing tobacco appears. Hint of cold coffee in the background. It cannot completely fulfill the promise of the nose, but is a very nice Macallan nonetheless. Could have done with a little more body, though.

The finish is medium long, honeysweet with a slight prickle from nutmeg and black pepper.

Lovely Macallan that lacks just a bit of body. Bottled at cask strength, this could have been a monster. I like monsters.

Related Macallan reviews


You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in