Discussions

1 50

By @RianC @RianC on 23rd Jan 2019, show post

Replies: page 2/2

bwmccoy replied

@fiddich1980 - thanks for all of the details on the Harris Gin. I will see if I can find a bottle for my wife. It would make a great gift; she loves Gin, beautiful bottle and since we’ve been to Isle of Harris, a great memory of our trip there! Thanks again!

about one year ago 3Who liked this?

bwmccoy replied

@fiddich1980 - May I ask how / where you purchased your bottle of Harris Gin? I’ve been searching on-line and can’t find it anywhere other than the Distillery and they don’t ship to the states. Thanks!

about one year ago 0

@bwmccoy

It's listed as available in some LCBO stores but not for online purchase.

I can definitely rescue a bottle or 2 for you. The big problem, of course, would be getting them to you. But we DO play the long game.

Private message me if you want to set something up.

@KRB80
KRB80 replied

Not a review but my buddy who owns a liquor store recently let me try a bunch of different high end Mezcals. To say it was an eye-opener is an understatement!!! Now I have to start reading up on it and doing research. So fascinating.

about one year ago 4Who liked this?

@talexander
talexander replied

Kinsip Duck Island Rum (45%). This rum from the Prince Edward County micro-distillery is distilled from Barbados-style molasses and demerara sugar, then aged for 3 1/2 years in charred American oak barrels. The barrel number given is 81,141,154 (hm so they have 81 million barrels of this?)

The colour is a deep copper. On the nose I get sour apple, plasticine, rubber tires and fermented cabbage (none of those are necessarily bad). Underneath it all is that dark molasses sweetness. 21

The palate is extremely rich with stewed dates, burnt caramel, bovril and heavy oak. Very nice though seems a bit young for a dark rum. 22

The finish is long but a bit rough with more oak, cloves and deep dark molasses. 21

A bit rough around the edges but surprisingly, a decent rum from an Ontario micro-distiller. 21

TOTAL: 85

about one year ago 4Who liked this?

bwmccoy replied

@Nozinan - Wow! Thank you for your most generous offer. I really appreciate it. I just can’t imagine any way that I could get the bottle from you. Thanks again!

about one year ago 0

RianC replied

Not had a drink for days but @talexander 's post has made me recall my enjoyment of Cadenhead's Classic Rum. Opened a couple of weeks back, I was really impressed. Apparently, it's a blend of 5 - 10 year old Guyanan rums bottled at 50% with no colour or CF.

Nose - Molasses, vanilla, touch of smoky char, Medjool dates and other dark, dried fruits with a little tobacco and chewy toffee. A classic rum nose indeed and very pleasing.

Taste - Starts sweet with molasses, brown sugar and vanilla Coke but then becomes drier and more herbal with traditional cola syrup/herbal notes. This transition is most pleasing and I suspect is due to the lack of additional sugars. Mouthfeel is 'grippy' and thick.

Finish - isn't all that long, medium at a push, but it fades nicely to some treacle and soft burnt sugar notes. Really makes you want another sip.

I have limited experience with rums but I do tend to like this (Guyanan?) dark rum style and this is as good an example as I've had. The natural presentation is really helping this I feel and I do like how it goes from sweet to herbal and dry. When I first opened this my initial thought was 'This aint lasting long!'

Score - 87 but a very good 87 if you know what I mean?

about one year ago 3Who liked this?

Nozinan replied

@RianC I’ve Never had extraterrestrial spirits before, certainly not El-Aurian. But I started watching STNG late.

I think the style of rum you’re Referring to is Demerara rum, which is a common Guyanese style. I think Lemon Hart 151 is a Demerara rum.

I’ve been the recipient of several samples of rum lately, which I will have to sit down with. I also picked up a special Havana Club DF expression that I have been told is a “whisky lover’s” rum.

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

RianC replied

@Nozinan - . . . to boldly misuse suffixes like no-one has misused them before laughing

I had to Google Lemon Hart 151, blimey! I'd imagine it's similar to Gosling's 151 which I've been on the lookout for; although I get the feeling such spirits are designed to be mixed rather than sipped?

Can't say any high proof rums I've had have been improved by adding water or ice to a neat pour - usually kills the flavour and brings out more raw alcohol.

@RianC

A drop or 2 to a 10 cc pour of LH 151 really opens up the experience.

@Hewie
Hewie replied

For you people who enjoy drinking good gin straight - what type of glass do you prefer to use? A friend has a birthday and he hates whisky but loves decent gin. I thought some glasses might be a nice idea but not entirely sure what would be best. Opinions?

12 months ago 1Who liked this?

RianC replied

@Hewie - Funnily enough I was just thinking I might do a review of Roku gin later . . . As for glassware, I'll probably just use my Glencairn but a snifter might be a better option especially for the nose? Maybe a brandy snifter, as they're quite versatile, would be a good gift?

12 months ago 3Who liked this?

bwmccoy replied

@Hewie - I usually use my standard tulip whisky glass when sipping gin, but @RianC’s suggestion of a brandy snifter sounds like a good idea as well. I’m going to try that next time I have some gin neat.

12 months ago 2Who liked this?

RianC replied

Roku Gin from Suntory @43% - This must be my first gin review but will say that apart from whisk(e)y gin is probably the spirit I've had most contact with, certainly in the last ten years or so. This has the 'usual' botanical suspects but then has six (Roku = 6 in Japanese, so I've learned) local botanicals including cherry leaf and blossom, sencha and gyokuro green teas,yuzu and pepper. (@JasonHambrey)

Nose - Delightfully floral (I'm inclined to say cherry blossom but I feel that's suggested rather than actually smelt) with citrus (orange and lemon rind) and a hint of pepper alongside that classic juniper note. Very nice and complex for a gin; there's absolutely zero raw alcohol. I'm searching for some grain notes but am drawing a blank . . .

Taste - oily with citrus notes to start and then a sharp punch of coriander seed. Some juniper and floral teas as it develops.

Finish - Pepper comes out again but it's like a pink pepper (is that Japanese pepper?) and not as spicy as black. Juniper is strong at the end and the tea is here again with some light tannins. Edit - 5 minutes later and I can still taste some coriander seed and juniper bitterness.

Well, this is a great gin - so clean and delightfully put together - in fact I almost feel this is too good for mixing as there's so much to engage with neat. It does make a cracking G&T though (with a good tonic, of course!). We did some home made gins last year and doing this review is really making me appreciate what a learning experience that was - the coriander is particularly pronounced and that's something that's never really jumped out at me until we overdid one of our batches with it.

I'd give this 89/100 and would recommend to any gin fan!

12 months ago 6Who liked this?

@JasonHambrey
JasonHambrey replied

@RianC likewise. I love it. The lack of grain character that you pointed out - I agree. It is an interesting point of preference - I actually really like gins where there is a grain character prominent, i.e., the grain was used to contribute more than just alcohol - yet the clean nature of some gins without grain character is also appealing.

It makes me wonder if, down the line, I'll tend to favour the heavier, grainier gins more than the cleaner, elegant ones - as I do my whisky. But, for now, I like both styles.

11 months ago 1Who liked this?

@KRB80
KRB80 replied

I've been on a mezcal bender as of late and reading, tasting, buying as much as I can. Here are a few quick thoughts on the stuff that I have opened so far....

Del Magguey Madrecuixe: Lot: MAD-141 On the nose it's slightly smoky with a bit of earthiness, vegetal, juicy fruit gum, mango, and pineapple. Initially the taste is roasted agave/vegetal and peppery then morphs into delicious tropical fruit bomb with mangos, papaya, pineapple, lots of juicy fruit gum that slowly fades away to a chalky finish with a touch of cinnamon. I love this.

Del Maguey Chichicapa: Subtle smoke on the nose along with earthy, dusty, and vegetal notes…nothing too big. The taste changes all that though. Fruity (lemon/lime), earthy, vegetal, minty (spearmint), and some smoke all in one balanced package. Peppery/piney finish with subtle notes of burnt rubber. It’s a classic for a reason.

Los Nahuales Metodo Antiguo: Lot 02A/18, 52.4% ABV The nose is initially quite muted with notes of acetone but opens up wonderfully after a few minutes with truckloads of berries, white grapes, and vegetal roasted agave notes. The taste is slightly mineral with pez candy, roasted agave, mango, strawberries...loads of bright fruitiness. It finishes with a peppery kick and tropical fruitiness. This is a very bright, fruity, and zippy espadin with a full-bodied mouthfeel. I know that it goes against the entire philosophy behind this release (diluting the abv with the "puntas") but a couple drops of water opens everything up even more. Wonderful espadin.

Nuestra Soledad Lachigui: Edition 5 from 2016. Batch: PV0ES081117NS Very faint whiff of smoke on the nose. Predominantly fruit forward (white grapes, honeydew melon) with some chalky element going on. Flavor is also very fruit forward, extremely mineral, wet cement, clay, a bit perfumy, and a touch harsh on the finish. More perfume on the finish which I think another reviewer nailed when he said it’s reminiscent of jasmine; which I’m not a fan of. I’d prefer some more vegetal notes and less perfume/floral but it’s got a good stuff going on too and it’s obviously quality…just not my preference.

Derrumbes San Luis Potosi: The nose very “green” akin to jalapeno/poblano peppers with undertones of cheese…perhaps a touch of onions in there as well. Basically, it smells like jalapeno poppers in a glass. Taste is more of the same with a pepper spice kick. The green pepper flavors cling to your palate forever. I am literally still tasting it 30 minutes later. Overall, a solid and distinctive mezcal that pushes a lot of great buttons and is an absolute bargain. I just wish that it had a higher ABV which I venture would bring out more depth. I recently had a taste of a Mezonte Jalisco Raicilla that shared a lot of these flavors with tons of extra depth and complexity and blew my mind.

11 months ago 4Who liked this?

RianC replied

Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum. Made from two types of pot stills, this is then matured (exclusively, I think) in warehouses by the Thames - so a Jamaican/English hybrid?

Well, whatever, it's really good rum (easily my fave so far) and considering it sells for around £35 it offers great value. It also seems fairly widely available. It's bottled at 57% and is NCF. The bottle has been open a few month and is about 2/3's full. Review is neat.

Nose - Heavy and dense with rich butter scotch toffee, pungent, ripe tropical fruit notes, a little burnt sugar and is that a little salty whiff? It has a, and I'm at a loss to find a better word for it, kind of funky, 'off-note' that really works with the sweetness.

This had a mere tinge of alcohol when first opened but, while you can tell there's some strong booze in your glass, it is never nippy or harsh.

Taste - (I've just had a sneezing fit and seem to have buggered up my nose and palate but I shall persevere) That off-note is prominent but it then develops into more butter scotch and pineapple fizz bars (Roy of the Rovers bars, anyone?). Thick and nicely cloying mouthfeel. Not too sweet with a good balance of flavours. Moves towards a drier finish.

Finish - Med - long. Becomes drier with some oak and tannins rounding things off nicely. Some of that creamy, buttery sweetness lingers all the way through - it kind of 'nips' the tongue like peat does.

Not at all complex but what it delivers it delivers big-time ! That unusual funky note, that I'm assuming is the rums soul, gives it a very unique taste and smell and makes this rum very well-suited to someone who likes strongly flavoured whiskys. It's big, bold and punchy and very much 'up my alley'.

90/100

6 months ago 4Who liked this?

Nozinan replied

@RianC I get the distinct impression of nutmeg. In fact when I traded away a bottle of this I wanted to give a sample but I didn’t have an open bottle, so I actually gave a piece of nutmeg with the bottle.

6 months ago 2Who liked this?

RianC replied

Rum Sixty Six from Foursquare. 12 years old, tropical aged, NCF, @43% and most likely uncoloured. 100% Bajan rum. I believe this is matured in ex-bourbon and is then shifted to first-fill Jack Daniel's barrels for the last 3 years.

Bottles been open a few weeks with about two thirds left. Review is with a literal drop of water.

Nose - big hit of traditional cola (so some drier, herbal touches) vanilla and delicate notes of clove and nutmeg. Less sweet than most runs I've come across with some ripe banana and coconut water.

There is a little alcohol present neat but a drop of two of water, and a little time, sorts it out nicely.

Taste - that cola sings the loudest with the baking spices coming out as it develops.

Finish - relatively short and dry with some barrel char and hot cinnamon notes.

RRP is £35+ but I snagged this for £28. So glad I did as this is just what I wanted - a light, easy going sipping rum for summer that isn't too sweet. It's not my bag, really, but I bet this would work well with Coke. Very decent.

87/100

7 days ago 1Who liked this?

Liked by:

@casualtorture

You must be signed-in to comment here