Benromach 2009 - 2019 Batch 1

@HewieReview by @Hewie

9th Apr 2020

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Last night, while watching a movie with my 16 year old daughter (Captain Marvel - not really my cup of tea but when your daughter wants to spend time with you.....), I was dramming Benromach Cask Strength 2009 – 2019 Batch 1 bottled at 58.8%. This is the most recent release from Benromach and so far there is little to no info on the net about it (not even on the Benromach website).

Nose: wet wood, tarred ropes, wet wool, forest floor, red berries, ripe red apples, honey, bees wax, nutmeg, charred wood, glazed ham, sweet nuts, eucalyptus

Palate: peat – slightly phenolic, sharp red fruit, sour red berries, spices – cinnamon and nutmeg, vanilla sweetness, orange peel, slightly meaty. Some dunnage funk.

Finish: lingering charred sticks – a bit ashy, old oak, some tannins – black tea, lingering spices, brown sugar sweetness, faint or eucalyptus or mint. Quite long.

Although this is not from their ‘Peat Smoke’ series there is still quite a bit of peat influence in this. If you know the older Benromach 10 year old 100 proof (57%) this newer Batch 1 has a lot more sherry influence compared to more of the vanilla and caramel notes in the 10/100. This is a thoroughly enjoyable whisky with plenty going on - another worthy contender in the battle of the peated and sherried whiskies.

Related Benromach reviews

8 comments

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

Nice review. I watched the same move with my kids a while back. Gotta love Disney Plus!

I have a sample of this and I hope to put it H2H with the 10/100.

about one year ago 5Who liked this?

@Hewie
Hewie commented

@Nozinan when you say the same one is it the 2009 or the 2008 version? Both are called Batch 1

@65glenfarclas
65glenfarclas commented

@Hewie this one shows "batch 1" distilled 2009 bottled 2019 at 58.8% (9 years old). LCBO has one on their website and the photo shows "batch 1" distilled 2008 bottled 2019 at 57.9% (10 years old). I would guess they are planning to bottle the "vintages" at different ages, each with a different batch #, similar to Balblair before they switched back to age statements?

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@cricklewood gave me the sample, so may be able to give more detail Unfortunately my samples are sealed off with the rest of my whisky for the duration.

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@Nozinan I’m anxious to see that HtoH (post Passover of course) as I still have some of the 100 and am tempted to go for the replacement.

@Hewie
Hewie commented

@BlueNote a couple of weeks ago I did a wee H2H with these two. In the "So, what are you drinking now?" thread I wrote "The Batch 1 had more bright red fruit and the 10 100 more savoury and almost herbal notes. Both cracking drams. Interestingly the peat in the Batch 1 seemed slightly more phenolic and almost more island like in comparison. If I had to pick a winner the new Batch 10 may have just edged out the 10 100." Then in response to a question "I've really enjoyed this bottle (the 10/100). It is a big, powerful whisky but I'm very happy to drink it undiluted. i usually get a lovely old leather and old book feel with this. It has some sweetness but tends more towards the savoury side. In comparison to the Batch 1, which has a bit more sherry influence, the bourbon side was more obvious with some vanilla and caramel notes. Both excellent in their own right."

about one year ago 3Who liked this?

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

@Hewie Thanks for the review. This sounds terrific. I’ve got a bottle of the 10/100, and if there’s less sherry influence, it may actually be more to my liking than this one (although I’m only judging this one based on your description).

@KRB80
KRB80 commented

I still haven't seen any of these out in the wild. I hoarded a few bottles of the 10/100 to hold me over though.

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here