Deanston 18 Year Old Batch 1

WReview by @Wierdo

25th Jul 2020

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

This is my first bottle of Deanston whisky. Not my usual thing to start with the 18 but at the time I brought the bottle I had a lot of younger whiskies in my stash and not many 15+ whiskies.

First thing to say is I like the presentation of this whisky. Bottled at 46.3%, Natural colour, NCF. Nice bottle and a no fuss cardboard box.

Nose

Quite fruity (but not dried fruits) lemon, vanilla some oak and a subtle ginger note.

Palate

Tastes quite young for it's age. Quite bitter/sour initially. Biscuity and malty with lemons and a fizzy sherbert note. Some toffee in the development.

Finish

Quite drying, oaky with tanins. And the sour fruits lingering.

This malt is quite obviously bourbon cask matured and I like the fact that they've avoided the standard practice of dipping their 18 year old in sherry casks for a couple of years to give an artificial impression of age. As I mentioned I like the presentation. I also quite like the fact that the profile is a little unusual being quite sour and malty.

So why not a 90+ score? In truth I did find the one thing it was missing was a little complexity.

Still a very decent malt. Competitively priced (in the UK) for an 18 year old. Worth a look.

Related Deanston reviews

4 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

Nice review and I don't feel the need to write one from your sample now smile

I tried this alongside the 12 and honestly preferred the 12. Much juicier and fresh although both are very good. The 18 was recently going for just over £50 on Amazon but I think, having tried it, if get another 12 and save a few quid! Have you tried the 12?

18 days ago 1Who liked this?

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

Nice review. I’m putting this one on my list. I love an exclusive ex-bourbon maturation. I’m pretty sensitive to sulphur so sherry cask finishes are a crapshoot for me.

18 days ago 2Who liked this?

Wierdo commented

@RianC no I've not had the 12. Went straight to the 18. Probably should have started with the 12.

@OdysseusUnbound if you're looking for a slightly older bourbon matured whisky and you can pick up a bottle of this for a sensible price it's defintely worth a look.

18 days ago 1Who liked this?

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@Wierdo I’m struggling a bit with this one so I’m putting it aside to air out for a while. Your review is encouraging though, and I’m sure it will come around.

@OdysseusUnbound I’m on my third bottle of the Deanston 12. If you can find it at the right price you can’t go wrong.

18 days ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here