Forty Creek Port Wood Reserve

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

I had high hopes for this. After enjoying the Confederation Oak Reserve, and reading the accolades and tasting notes I was expecting the port version of a Sherry Bomb.

Forty Creek continues to put out quality expressions in their special releases (this release was of just 6600 bottles).

The nose in this is quite impressive. One or 2 drops of water (no more!) help to bring out a rich port aroma. But there is a slight rubbing alcohol quality as well. Though not too unpleasant, it makes imperfect a very engaging nose.

The taste, despite a craft-level 45%, was a little dilute. My tongue kept asking for just a little more. Figs, spices, and port again. The finish, though smooth as advertised, is short compared to many single malts I've nejoyed.

This is a good whisky, but I'm comparing it to some great ones I've had. I think that 1-2 more years in the cask, a little longer in the port casks, less dilution (50%? cask strength?) and this could be on par with some of the finest single malts around.

Related Forty Creek reviews

3 comments

Nozinan commented

Sorry - This is a review of FORTY CREEK Port Wood Reserve. Somehow the Distiller was not added to the review

7 years ago 0

Nozinan commented

Added a point to it tonight. Same bottle, gassed the whole time. I haven't opened it in ages.

Time has been I good to this whisky. I got a hint of anise in the nose tonight which I do not recall from before. Also some red currents or gooseberries.

5 years ago 0

Nozinan commented

Trying this today in a port sipper or port pipe. Definitely a new experience.

This is the same bottle. With gas preservation it seems to have maintained its quality quite nicely, about 1/3 full. I can't change any numbers today because I'm still learning with this new glass. don't get much of a nose, but the flavour seems to punch above the 84 mark.

4 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here